Quietest titanium PSU for an overclocked 6700k + 1080ti

Edu Sanabria

Honorable
Sep 19, 2014
Hello, I want advice since I'm going to change my PSU. It is a bronze M12 850w from seasonic, it's a good psu however, it started to sound like a jet engine when I changed from my 970 to the power hungry 1080 ti.
What I want is a silent and efficient PSU, since there are 12 fans in my PC and the only one I hear is the seasonic one. I bought an AIO, the Asus 1080ti (pretty silent) and a lot of fans that run at low speed to counter the heat of Spain's summers (35 ºC in my room) but the M12 is ruining it.

So, I've seen these:
https://www.pccomponentes.com/evga-supernova-t2-850w-80-plus-titanium-modular
and
https://www.pccomponentes.com/evga-supernova-t2-1000w-80-plus-titanium-modular

I know that ammount of watts are overkill but as I said I want 0 noise and I have the money.
Are there any options that I haven't considered?
I think I'm going to buy the 1000W one since it's only 40€ more and probably will work at half its power (+- 500W), and probably quieter.
But I want to hear your opinions first.

Thanks and sorry for my english. =)

Edit:
I guess I'll go for a high efficiency 850w unit, since most of you said you don't hear too much noise from them. Probably an ax860i or the evga t2 since seasonic are hard to find them here this summer.

Thank you all.

Solution
Your psu is probably partially defective.
Since the cost is not that important to you, go ahead and change it out for perhaps a 850w gold or better psu.

You will find that many of the top quality power supplies are made by Seasonic . I think the corsair ax860i is one of those.

About the best reviewer of power supplies is jonnyguru. I would try to read up on whatever candidate you are considering.
Here is the review for the ax860i
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=317
There are fanless PSUs out there, and several high-end that fans stay off until a certain load is applied. Bought a Seasonic Prime Titanium750W awhile back. Very quiet though its my tester/ backup PSU. Very efficient and top notch components. Pricey though.

Noise comes from fans running at high rpm.
I am a bit surprised that there is no noise coming from your 12 fans.
What is your case and your fan setup?

On a quiet psu, there are two ways to be quiet.

1. Overprovision your psu.
A GTX1080ti needs only about 600w. Possibly 75w more if your card needs two 8 pin power leads.
850w should be fine, but there is little problem with going stronger. A psu will consume only what it needs, regardless of the max capability.
2. Chase the gold/platinum/titanium ratings.
Really, I think gold is sufficient. I use a Seasonic X750 gold rated to run a GTX1080ti and an overclocked I5-7600K. I have never heard the psu fan.
The instructions warn you to not be alarmed if you never hear the fan come on.

You may have some sort of cooling issue.
The job of a psu fan is to cool the unit; nothing else.
The psu should not be getting hot unless you have some unusually high demand for power.

It seems to me that a case cooling solution might be in order.
Normally, a case with two front 140mm intakes and a single 120mm exhaust is all you need.

There is some good info on quiet computing at www.silentpcreview,com.
Here is an older link to the psu section:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/Recommended_PSUs

I am currently running a Seasonic X-Series in my machine and can't hear anything running.

Don't think you need 1000w PSU.

750w should be enough.

MeatFeastMan

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
I use a corsair ax860i for my fx 9590 system and I can't hear it whatsoever, even under full load with my nh d15. Was gonna get the 760i but it seems like it's discontinued. The fan doesn't come on until 20% load I believe, and even then I struggle to hear anything.

Edu Sanabria

Honorable
Sep 19, 2014

I have an A/C but the PSU makes the noise depending on the load. I want to change it because the PSU makes noise even in winter.

Edu Sanabria

Honorable
Sep 19, 2014

Great PSU, I will consider it, since is only a few € less than the 850 from evga. Thanks!

My Seasonic X-Series is quiet, can't even hear it running.

Edu Sanabria

Honorable
Sep 19, 2014

3x140 up, 4x140 front (push pull radiator) and a 120 down. They wont make noise, thay are always below 30% speed, and I know its the PSU because I tried to disconnect all of them and the noise was coming from the M12.
Everything is cool inside, nothing goes hotter than 60 in the worst case.

I've read good things about that Seasonic, but can't find it here and there are shortages of seasonic psus in Spain.

I'll go for the 850w evga or corsair AX860i probably.

Edu Sanabria

Honorable
Sep 19, 2014

I trust in Seasonic, but can't find any where I live :(

Your psu is probably partially defective.
Since the cost is not that important to you, go ahead and change it out for perhaps a 850w gold or better psu.

You will find that many of the top quality power supplies are made by Seasonic . I think the corsair ax860i is one of those.

About the best reviewer of power supplies is jonnyguru. I would try to read up on whatever candidate you are considering.
Here is the review for the ax860i
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=317

Solution

Sedivy

Estimable
Well...seasonic did have that one model that was total crap, I'd have to find the review, when they switched suppliers. So trusting totally in a brand can lead you astray as well :p But on the whole, most of their models are very very good, that's true.

Edu Sanabria

Honorable
Sep 19, 2014

Yep, that happened to me. After changing gpu and hearing the noise, I searched on forums and I saw I wasn't the only one... Bad luck I guess.

Edu Sanabria

Honorable
Sep 19, 2014

I've read that article recently, I am still considering it, but only if i find it lower than the 850w evga, because the corsair is only 11 € less here.
Thanks for the recommendation, i appreciate it. :)

MeatFeastMan

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017

AXi is made by flextronics, who make server psu's. They are on a whole new level. Seasonic make the normal ax, not axi.