[SOLVED] quite the pickle

Jul 7, 2020
I'm in quite the pickle at the moment.
I have a monitor that only supports VGA, I'm thinking about buying a GPU, but the GPU I'm thinking about doesn't have a VGA port.
I was just wanting to know if it'll be alright if I just plug my monitor into my mother board and have the GPU still work.
* if it still uses the integrated graphics is there any way of forcing my PC to use the real GPU?
If not would it be ok if I get an HDMI to VGA dongle and using that on the graphics card? would that work?

Solution
No, there is not. If the graphics card is not directly connected to the monitor, then it will not use the graphics card's GPU. No way around it. End of story.

If you use ANY kind of adapter that changes the signal to VGA, you are going to be limiting your performance but considering that it's very unlikely your monitor is capable of anything more than 60hz anyhow, that probably doesn't matter.

So yes, you CAN get an adapter to go from HDMI to VGA, and that is probably your only option other than also replacing the monitor.
No, there is not. If the graphics card is not directly connected to the monitor, then it will not use the graphics card's GPU. No way around it. End of story.

If you use ANY kind of adapter that changes the signal to VGA, you are going to be limiting your performance but considering that it's very unlikely your monitor is capable of anything more than 60hz anyhow, that probably doesn't matter.

So yes, you CAN get an adapter to go from HDMI to VGA, and that is probably your only option other than also replacing the monitor.

Solution