Question Quite the problem: Mask or change my IP totally without VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

randyh121

Prominent
Jan 3, 2023
Hello.
I've run into quite the problem. To give you some background, I am an active gamer. I play a specific game and it has made be what I am today. Unfortunately, this game community has some very evil people in it. I'm going to make a long story short and make this simple.
I can't them detect my homes real IP when playing
Of course, I've used VPN's. The problem is though these VPN's seem to be hiccupping, and they can see my IP still. I'm guessing that the VPN is turning off for even a millisecond when browsing their community forums and it is auto detected by their system.
I've tried 2 different VPN's, and after a few months a hiccup seems to happen in these VPN systems when using them and they detect the IP address.
I can't let them do that again.

Now, I have done some research in proxy servers and that might be a way to do this, but I have never set one up. Wondering if that could be a way?
Or is there something else I can do?
I have lots of money, so I can spend money on equipment if needed.

Solutions I've tried but do not work:
  1. Using my cellular hotspot. Very slow, unable to play the game off of it. It also assigns you an IP randomly. I need the IP I am given to mask mine to be STATIC so it is CONSISTANT. Cellular hotspots do not do that
  2. Attempting to change my IP on my modem. We have comcast, and they do not let us change our IP unless you contact their support and they do it on their end. Resetting modem does not change IP. It is my landlords modem, and I doubt he would give me access to contact Comcast on his behalf to change IP's.

Ralston18

Titan
What specific game(s)?

"I can't them detect my homes real IP when playing "

I think you mean "I can't have them detect my homes real IP when playing". (My underline.)

Why? Who and what are those "evil people"actually doing to interfere with your game play?

Maybe someone believes that you are cheating.

That can only be addressed by the gaming website.

There are actually no legitmate reasons for masking or otherwise "changing" an IP address for game play.

Who have you contacted within the game/game community about the problem?

That is the correct starting point.

This is always the problem with games that run on private hosting servers. Before discord for voice chat it was also a problem. When I used to play ARK was the first time I ever saw how bad some people can be.

Some vpn clients have a option to block traffic if the vpn client fails. Been a while since I used vpn clients, I run vpn only on routers and most have that feature.

A brute force method to do this is to go into the nic settings and remove the default gateway. Your machine now can't talk to anything not on your lan.

What you then do is use the ROUTE command to add routes pointing to your router IP for only the IP addresses used by the vpn service. Could get a bit messy if the vpn client uses DNS to set the session up. You would either have to put routes in for a DNS server or put entries into the HOST file.
Check that the VPN client does not mess this up. The VPN client should add a default route to the routing table in your pc going into the new tunnel it creates.

You might also be able to use the windows firewall to do this, not sure.

randyh121

Prominent
Jan 3, 2023
What specific game(s)?

"I can't them detect my homes real IP when playing "

I think you mean "I can't have them detect my homes real IP when playing". (My underline.)

Why? Who and what are those "evil people"actually doing to interfere with your game play?

Maybe someone believes that you are cheating.

That can only be addressed by the gaming website.

There are actually no legitmate reasons for masking or otherwise "changing" an IP address for game play.

Who have you contacted within the game/game community about the problem?

That is the correct starting point.
I find these questions irrelevant to the actual solution I need, but I will humor you anyway.
It's a text based web forum game. You can't cheat, it's just text based RP on a webpage.
I've unfortunately been the victim of swatting, and had to move to a different addresses in my town to avoid the constant swatting by one of the sites administrators.

This is always the problem with games that run on private hosting servers. Before discord for voice chat it was also a problem. When I used to play ARK was the first time I ever saw how bad some people can be.

Some vpn clients have a option to block traffic if the vpn client fails. Been a while since I used vpn clients, I run vpn only on routers and most have that feature.

A brute force method to do this is to go into the nic settings and remove the default gateway. Your machine now can't talk to anything not on your lan.

What you then do is use the ROUTE command to add routes pointing to your router IP for only the IP addresses used by the vpn service. Could get a bit messy if the vpn client uses DNS to set the session up. You would either have to put routes in for a DNS server or put entries into the HOST file.
Check that the VPN client does not mess this up. The VPN client should add a default route to the routing table in your pc going into the new tunnel it creates.

You might also be able to use the windows firewall to do this, not sure.
Yeah I had both of my VPN's set to stop traffic if the VPN fails, but that seems to not work. I'm guessing if the VPN fails, it takes a second or two for the traffic blocking to kick in, and that second or two is all it takes for them to detect my real IP. I can't let that happen.

As for removing the default gateway thing you talked about, that may be an option but it sounds very messy. I'd like perhaps a hardware solution that I can have all my traffic go through some filter that doesn't transmit my real IP outwards, like a proxy. But no idea how to set that up.

randyh121

Prominent
Jan 3, 2023
I just had an idea white sitting on the toilet.
What about a cloud pc?
So I'd just be controlling a PC remotely but that PC is far away from me. Is that a thing for gaming systems? Like renting one?
Or perhaps having a virtual machine on my PC, and configure it to only route traffic through a VPN

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"I've unfortunately been the victim of swatting, and had to move to a different addresses in my town to avoid the constant swatting by one of the sites administrators."

Swatting as I understand it, involves misuse of legal authorities. Likely depends on local laws and so forth.

The described problem is a problem that needs to be addressed by the game website management/ownership and/or local law enforcement.

Overall though, from my viewpoint, there is no way to really know the truth of matter. Least of all being what text based RP game is being played.

And where you are using the landlord's equipment, anything you do may adversely affect him and other tenants.

Especially with respect to his, not yours, contract with Comcast.

Helping you hide or otherwise disguise your "real" IP beyond the suggestions offered thus far is more than likely a violation of forum rules.

You must raise the game play questions and problems to the game administrators and/or local law enforcement.

Closing thread accordingly.

USAFRet

Titan
I just had an idea white sitting on the toilet.
What about a cloud pc?
So I'd just be controlling a PC remotely but that PC is far away from me. Is that a thing for gaming systems? Like renting one?
Or perhaps having a virtual machine on my PC, and configure it to only route traffic through a VPN
That has been tried many many times.

Physical distance == latency.

With an online game, most of the action and brain power still happens locally.
Running a whole OS across the internet doesn't work in a gaming situation.

The corporate concept of this is a Thin Client.
Minimal hardware on your desk, and the OS and applications live in a BIG server elsewhere in the building.

We have some of those at work. Can sort of work in an office environment, but VERY much slower than a real PC.
The main benefit for the corp is centralized maintenance.
Actual performance blows chunks.

Status
Not open for further replies.