Qustion about different USB ports for charging mobile devices.

mjbn1977

Reputable
Aug 20, 2015
I have a questions in regards to charging mobile devices (specifically the iphone XS) using different cables and different USB ports from my motherboard. I have a MSI Z370 Gaming Carbon Pro and that has the following USB ports:

USB 3.1 PORTS (FRONT)
4(Gen1, Type A)

USB 3.1 PORTS (REAR)
1(Gen2, Type C),1 (Gen2, Type A), 4(Gen1, Type A)

I also have an RTX 2080 which also offers an additional USB-C port.

I would like to charge my iPhone and other mobile devices (tablet, eReader, headphones etc.) as fast as possible and I am trying to wrap my head around the different options.

1. Question: does it matter in which port i put normal USB to Lighting and USB to micro USB cables?

2. Question: if I want to charge my iphone with USB-C, will it make a difference if I plug it into the USB-C of the RTX 2080 or the motherboard?

3. Question: in regards to charging speed. Is there a difference by using a USB-C cable in USB-C port vs. normal USB cable in USB 3.1 Gen 2? Is it important to have a special quality cable or can all cables handle the output fo 3.1 Gen 2?

I confused, because everywhere the writing you need USB-C to take full advantage of fastest charging speeds, but the specs on USB-C and USB 3.1 Gen2 are the same......confusing....

Thanks!