[SOLVED] QVL vs. Working in MOBO

nikomak

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
I have an AsRock Z97 Extreme6 and QVL says GSkill F3-2400C11Q-32GXM kit works with MOBO. I purchased a new kit from Newegg and to my dismay,PC will only post with one 8GB stick in each channel . Operates fine with 16GB single mode. But I paid for and want 32GB dual mode. All 4 sticks work individually and pass memory testing. Is the QVL wrong? Is each channel limited to 8GB (so it would take 2-4 gig sticks to activate dual channel)?

I have tried 3 different 32GB kits from the QVL and have now run out of patience and money. Has anyone else had this same trouble, and hopefully found a solution they could share with me? I have the latest BIOS (P2.80) but is there a more recent BIOS for a different Z97 MOBO (Like the Z97 OC Formula) that will update my system and not brick my MOBO? I have done this before using BIOS from a mainsteam MOBO to update an end-of-service Dell board, but would only try this if somebody else was successful and let me know what BIOS worked for them. The back-up Bios should protect me from tanking my MOBO (??) Or am I stuck with a future purchase of yet another kit?
(Running an i7-4770K @ 4.2)

Solution
I have an AsRock Z97 Extreme6 and QVL says GSkill F3-2400C11Q-32GXM kit works with MOBO. I purchased a new kit from Newegg and to my dismay,PC will only post with one 8GB stick in each channel . Operates fine with 16GB single mode. But I paid for and want 32GB dual mode. All 4 sticks work individually and pass memory testing. Is the QVL wrong? Is each channel limited to 8GB (so it would take 2-4 gig sticks to activate dual channel)?

I have tried 3 different 32GB kits from the QVL and have now run out of patience and money. Has anyone else had this same trouble, and hopefully found a solution they could share with me? I have the latest BIOS (P2.80) but is there a more recent BIOS for a different Z97 MOBO (Like the Z97 OC Formula)...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Have you ever had ram running in dual channel on this board?

So system doesn't boot with 2nd and 4th slot occupied? Just 1st and 3rd?

How are configuring memory settings in bios before trying 2nd/4th slot or all four sticks? Have you tried lower frequency? Without cpu overclock?

If system was never able to run a2/b2 slots in dual channel then it's possible there is a bent cpu socket pin or cooler is on too tight.

Motherboard supports 8gb dimms x 4 = 32gb, capacity isn't the problem. Maybe bios version is responsible for compatibility issues but since you tried three different sets, is unlikely and suspect there's something else amiss. I would not advise using another boards firmware, though i am curious if it would work.

Reactions: gskill support

Endre

Reputable

I have tried 3 different 32GB kits from the QVL and have now run out of patience and money. Has anyone else had this same trouble, and hopefully found a solution they could share with me? I have the latest BIOS (P2.80) but is there a more recent BIOS for a different Z97 MOBO (Like the Z97 OC Formula) that will

I have tried 3 different 32GB kits from the QVL and have now run out of patience and money. Has anyone else had this same trouble, and hopefully found a solution they could share with me? I have the latest BIOS (P2.80) but is there a more recent BIOS for a different Z97 MOBO (Like the Z97 OC Formula) that will update my system and not brick my MOBO? I have done this before using BIOS from a mainsteam MOBO to update an end-of-service Dell board, but would only try this if somebody else was successful and let me know what BIOS worked for them. The back-up Bios should protect me from tanking my MOBO (??) Or am I stuck with a future purchase of yet another kit?
(Running an i7-4770K @ 4.2)

Hello!
Please make sure that all of the RAM slots are fine.
Insert one memory module, alone, in each slot.
If all slots are fine, then it means that the issue is somewhere else.

Solution