Qwerkytoys Qwerkywriter Mechanical Keyboard Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
It also has a faux paper carriage, complete with vestigial knobs to complete the illusion.
It seems like a missed opportunity to not turn those knobs into volume dials or something. Maybe volume for one, and a scroll-wheel for the other?

We’re not the sort to turn our nose up at a heavy keyboard, but the added weight doesn't do the Qwerkywriter any favors. The back of the keyboard has a tablet stand, so the designers envision you pairing this keyboard with your tablet and presumably hauling it around someplace--but the keyboard is a little bulky for that.
I imagine that the extra weight could help keep everything stable when tapping and swiping on a larger tablet though. It may be a bit bulky to carry around everywhere, but as something one keeps at home, or in an office, it might not be bad.

The price is certainly a bit high though, and it would only be natural to expect a more premium build quality at that kind of price range. Compared to an actual vintage typewriter, the whole thing looks a bit plasticky, and it could have used some actual metal on its exterior. They should have also made sure it had at least full 6-key rollover.

steve15180

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I keep reading that green switches are too heavy for typing. While I'm dating myself,
I get the idea that no one has ever used an actual typewriter ever. Green switches are
nothing compared to a mechanical typewriter. I guess that's why I like my unicomp
keyboard (buckling spring) better than most.

brianmin2011

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018
We love Tom's Hardware and we appreciate the thorough review. Unfortunately, this product is nearly 3 years old and we have a new version Qwerkywriter S www.qwerkywriter.com that address every issue brought forth. We now use Cherry MX, brand new PCB with much more robust multi-device bluetooth, NKRO USB, new Keycap design with smoother throw, and more. We are a tiny boutique company so we do our best to keep prices as low as possible. This isn't a money grab but a reality of what we need to do to stay in business - with so many copycats since 2014 when we funded via Kickstarter! Thanks! :)

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

If they aren't too heavy *for you* for typing, then they aren't too heavy for typing. :)

Hey, and even volume and scrolling for the knobs. : P

Tom's does tend to be a bit slow with some of their reviews though. : D

Status
Not open for further replies.