qx6700 for $100

Sabero

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013
I have a dell xps 720 computer, with an intel q6600, 6Gb ddr2 ram, and a radeon 4890. Because of the motherboard settings on my system, non extreme processors are locked down, and I am locked to 2.4GHz. I can get a qx6700 for $100, which will allow me to overclock. given that I do not have the money to replace the entire system, would buying and overclocking this cpu be worth it $100 i put into it? Thanks for the help guys!

Solution
I would suggest saving up and switching out your motherboard and CPU. First off, you won't have to bother with switching in the future and having the feeling that purchasing that outdated CPU was a waste of time. Second, nowadays CPUs are much more efficient and will easily consume half (speaking intel of course) the power outdated CPUs will while offering much greater performance as well. The power savings might justify the cost itself.

But if you want a perspective on the qx6700, here is mine. Benchmarks show that at stock, the 6700 is a mere 15 or so percent better than your current processor. Sure you could overclock it a bit and bring that percentage a bit higher but you would have to invest in a, at least, decent CPU cooler which...

Sabero

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013

I understand that it is not the cpu problem. my mobo locks down all non extreme processors because dell decided they wanted you to pay insane amounts of money to customize the performance. the mobo will; however, allow extreme edition processors to overclock, and what i am wondering is if it is worth $100 to have an extreme edition processor that i can get more performance out of. The problem I have is I do not have the money to spend 400-500 bucks on a new system.

thesuperguy

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013
I would suggest saving up and switching out your motherboard and CPU. First off, you won't have to bother with switching in the future and having the feeling that purchasing that outdated CPU was a waste of time. Second, nowadays CPUs are much more efficient and will easily consume half (speaking intel of course) the power outdated CPUs will while offering much greater performance as well. The power savings might justify the cost itself.

But if you want a perspective on the qx6700, here is mine. Benchmarks show that at stock, the 6700 is a mere 15 or so percent better than your current processor. Sure you could overclock it a bit and bring that percentage a bit higher but you would have to invest in a, at least, decent CPU cooler which will set you back another 30+ dollars and not to mention, your OEM motherboard will most certainly be quite cheap and won't allow for a very effective overclock (assuming the VRM design is decent enough as to not explode in the process).

Assuming you don't need top of the line power in the future, I would strongly suggest going with AMD if you plan on swapping out your mobo and cpu. AMD is said to remain on the AM3+ standard for a while so no need to swap mobo anytime soon and for 100 or so dollars, a newer AMD processor will wipe the floor with the qx6700. It will be more powerful at stock and will be unlocked. With a decent motherboard (an extra 80-100 dollars tops), you will also be able to push the clock higher and set the qx6700 and whatever AMD CPU you might choose (I would suggest the 6300) even further apart.

Solution

thesuperguy

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013

That is incorrect. One of the reasons why the extreme series has such a significant price difference over the usual core 2 quad (at least back in the day) was because of its unlocked multiplier.

thesuperguy

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013

His CPU is locked.

Sabero

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013

My cpu in not locked, it is just mu motherboard locking fsb adjustment as a means of overclocking, which is why the extreme edition processors can overclock with their unlocked multipliers. That being said, I can't afford to buy a new mobo and overclock, because that would involve a new case and power supply as well.

thesuperguy

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013

Actually yes your CPU is locked. It isn't your motherboard locking it. If that was the case, extreme edition CPUs would not overclock either. It is your CPU. If you google q6600 unlocked, you won't see people talking about how it is unlocked, but rather HOW to unlock it. The typical response is you can't.

Refer to this: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/241554-28-unlock-q6600-multiplier

you dont need to unlock the multiplier to OC it, i should know, i have owned and OC'd one. Its his motherboard that doesnt support FSB overclocking, another motherboard that supports this feature would be able to raise the FSB and OC the cpu.

thesuperguy

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013

Well if that is the case, would that not mean that all CPUs with or without unlocked multipliers be restricted?

Edit: sorry, kinda jumbled up multiplier and fsb. I assumed locked CPUs were fully locked in all aspects. Ignore all.