Qx6800 in a dell 745- what do I need?

McClarenDesign

Reputable
Apr 15, 2014
I haven't found anything official yet, but all signs point to the qx6800 working with my dell 745 desktop. What parts/equipment will I need? Also, I saw various part numbers for the cpu itself. Of the 3 available, which do I select? Best place to purchase everything?

Solution
First, you mentioned 745 Desktop, can you be more precise, look below and identify yours

1541optiplex755family30.jpg

Next, those are examples of very similar Optiplex heatsinks, left are Aluminum and right are Copper, you already know what you need, so, which one you have:

8zer.jpg

dsc01651largede3.jpg

Bad news - you can not use standard heatsinks, because those are BTX based and hole locations are different, so hopefully you have Copper.
If you have Mini Tower (MT), you can add extra fans, if you have SFF or DT, you in hell with cooling.

BX80562PH0778M - processor model number...

McClarenDesign

Reputable
Apr 15, 2014
Everything looks good on the specs, socket, fsb, etc. Specs are on a pdf at Dell and I know that the optiplexes are light on power usage, so I don't think that'll be an issue (same as the 6700s everyone uses)

This is my first build, and considering that I can't return it, I need to be right the 1st time. I just haven't found a specific yay or nay, nor examples.

McClarenDesign

Reputable
Apr 15, 2014
The qx6700's are a common 745 upgrade, from what I've read, no issues.

I'm trying to build something to use for video capturing, editing, as well as something that can multitask since I've got two decent monitors (okay, a monitor and a hdtv) specifically to multitask. I've recently purchased Power Director, and the dual core 1.86 isn't enough (PD recommends 2.0G, but even that's a bit conservative).

I know it's a little bit pricey given the system, but there doesn't seem to be a ton of info on the setup, either for or against. I think I'm a pretty good candidate to document the process, but since this is my first build, I'd like a little direction... and something that won't completely screw me.

This seemed like a good place to find some tips and avoid some errors.

McClarenDesign

Reputable
Apr 15, 2014
Dell forum site, demonstrating the qx6700 compatibility: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/18401750.aspx

As for the logic in finances, just ignore it right now. Yes, it's stupid. Yes, I know. Still don't care. If I'm going to mod it, might as well go all the way and be done with it, and parting with the cash isn't going to break the bank. The time and energy that the small bump in performance saves will eventually pay for the cost of the upgrade.

McClarenDesign

Reputable
Apr 15, 2014
The BIOS appears to be sufficient as well.

I saw 3 part numbers for the chip and have no clue about the differences, if any, or what I'll need.

BX80562PH0778M
HH80562XJ0778M
0CR706

I think that I'll need to upgrade the cooling, but I haven't checked yet to see if I've got the aluminum or copper unit installed. I know that I'll need a heatsink, no clue about which one, nor any idea of other tools or equipment that I'll need for the swap.

First, you mentioned 745 Desktop, can you be more precise, look below and identify yours

1541optiplex755family30.jpg

Next, those are examples of very similar Optiplex heatsinks, left are Aluminum and right are Copper, you already know what you need, so, which one you have:

8zer.jpg

dsc01651largede3.jpg

Bad news - you can not use standard heatsinks, because those are BTX based and hole locations are different, so hopefully you have Copper.
If you have Mini Tower (MT), you can add extra fans, if you have SFF or DT, you in hell with cooling.

BX80562PH0778M - processor model number
HH80562XJ0778M - I have no clue, where you got this (very similar to above one)
0CR706 - Dell Mfg Part No

Anything else I can help you with?

Solution

I really don't know how to explain it to you - you can not mount regular heatsink on your motherboard, you can use only yours or Dell sourced from different Optiplex. You have BTX motherboard and as result everything screwed including new case. You can not use any ATX case, only Dell Optiplex Mini Tower BTX case, could be from 745, 755, 760, 780 and maybe a few more.

McClarenDesign

Reputable
Apr 15, 2014
Switching to another dell case doesn't bother me, nor does snagging a used heatsink online. Upgrading to the MT might even offer a few extra sata connections for a ssd, and as I said, Ive got my eye on a few. Having some spare parts won't hurt, but I've heard that these run like tanks, so they may never be needed. The only thing I don't want to pay for is shipping, but if it gets the job done, I won't complain.

There are a few BTX cases out there, mostly Chinese, but I'd have more fun modifying something easily replaceable, like a Dell. Switching to the MT just gives me a bigger canvas to work with.

Can you drop here a link to Chinese BTX cases, just wondering how they look like.

upgrading to the MT might even offer a few extra sata connections for a ssd

You are using the same motherboard, so no new connections, but more space, especially for cooling.

Since you like doing impossible projects, as I can see (I am about like you), I will give you a few hints in cooling upgrade.
First, in MT you can place at least 1 more exhaust 80 mm fan (maybe 92 mm will fit on the back panel, but it is unlikely).
Second, I seen people placing somehow extra 80 or 70 mm fan as pulling air on heatsink, inside. It was done for old XPS 4** series, which has a bit more space, but this is something to think about.

And lastly, there is BSEL tape method to mechanically overclock Q6600 CPU from 2.4 to 3GHz, would it work for QX CPU I have no clue.

And finally, possible ways to overclock, yes this is correct, you can do it, it is all depends on your determination and some luck. I had confirmations of both methods with Q6600 CPU, you might be able to do the same with QX.

First using PLL approach. Read first link before you upgrade your CPU, as you need to inspect your motherboard with magnifying glass without any parts attached.
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=41097

Those 2 are long reading
http://forum.notebookreview.com/hardware-components-aftermarket-upgrades/393027-pll-pinmod-overclocking-methods-examples.html
http://forum.notebookreview.com/hardware-components-aftermarket-upgrades/429383-how-find-clock-generator-pll-your-notebook-desktop.html

And here info for pinmode, using conductive ink (can be purchased from Amazon), I will try to place links in order of importance
http://www.overclockers.com/intel-lga775-pad-modding/
http://www.starless.nl/pinmod.html
http://xtreview.com/addcomment.php?id=574
This is very long reading and you don't need all that http://www.overclock.net/t/341123/intel-bsel-vid-mod-guide
http://www.overclock.net/t/461879/q6600-pin-mod/10 this one has proving screen shot

This is about it.

P.S. Why me and you are about the same. I was the first one to document upgrade of Inspiron 570 to Phenom 965 Black Edition, which is not officially supported by Dell, and I was the second one to overclock my setup in larger case using AMD utility (you can not do so unfortunately), and I even created a guide covering my work, so I can see that you are about the same as me, and as such, you can do some crazy things with your setup.
If you do something like this, please post it here for everyone to learn.

The Dell Optiplex 745 has motherboard ORF703 - Q965 - ICH8

The Dell Optiplex 755 has motherboard 0GM819 - Q35 - ICH9DO (This mobo will run Quad CPUs) - I have Q9550 running Windows 8.1 Pro on this. Uses the standard Dell copper base heatsink. Other heatsinks are not compatible with Dell motherboards.

Both have 305 watts PSUs.

OP has DT version, not MT like you. If he chooses to upgrade his case to MT version, he can install much stronger PSU. Just a comment.

McClarenDesign

Reputable
Apr 15, 2014
Since heat hasn't been an issue with the qx6700s, it shouldn't be here, either. Both run the same, and there haven't been any reports of failures. The stock copper unit should be fine. I may have to purchase one used, but I was expecting on that anyway, just didn't know what my options were.

One of the towers I was looking at uses the same socket and chipset, it's the MT pictured above, yet has no hard drive. I'm pretty sure that a majority of the parts will swap over since the two share the similar options, the MT with more expansion.

As for BTX cases, a simple ebay/google search should turn up a few, but I haven't looked too hard into it yet. I'll do that when everything is installed. I plan on having whstever case I use being cimpletely refinished, 100% custom and unrecognizable as a dell. There's a custom plastics shop a few blocks from me, and plenty of auto body shops looking for projects/ work during the winter. :)

If you are planning to use it for gaming, you probably thinking about video card upgrade, however there is something badly special about Optiplexes, see below.

THIS POST APPLICABLE TO MT (MINI TOWER) FORM FACTOR ONLY.

Unfortunately no card that is more than 7.5 inches long or 2 slots wide will PHYSICALLY FIT inside the case - it was found that only single bracket video card can fit due to BTX MOBO, where card internals facing upward towards PC internals, not ATX, where dual card design is blocking another PCI slot by facing downward.
If you prefer the card with beefier fan, then the length of the card must not exceed 7.5 inches, otherwise only "skinny" single bracket, single slot cards can physically fit.

Pictures below will prove my point.

View shows no room for dual bracket

01optilexgx620backviewe.jpg

Single bracket only, or you have to cut dual bracket in half

02optiplex745singlebrac.jpg

This is the other way to show my point

h6go.jpg

Here you can clearly see only single place for the bracket

03optiplexgx620insidean.jpg

Visual explanation

04optiplex755mt4.jpg

7.5 inches explained, also shown "obstacles"

05optiplex745singlebrac.jpg

This is the picture of actual "skinny" single slot video card (not sure which model)- perfect, "glove" fit.

06optiplex755mt3edit.jpg

So, keep this in mind when you will start looking for video card.

McClarenDesign

Reputable
Apr 15, 2014
Already have a xfx R5 230 single wide, I don't think that I'll jump into uber-cards until I build a system from scratch.

This is my first step towards building one from scratch. It'll teach me the basics.

McClarenDesign

Reputable
Apr 15, 2014
I'll worry about that when Gran Turismo is released on PC. Till then, capturing, editing and rendering are more important, and I'll be adding 3.0 usb soon to address part of that issue. I know a better card will help, it's just low priority since I've currently got one that works well.

McClarenDesign

Reputable
Apr 15, 2014
Quick update: cpu and tower have been ordered and should be here around the 30th. I'll keep you posted on my results.

For being 7 years old, the cpu was tough to find under $200, no idea why.

As for cooling, I've found reports of the aluminum cooler working fine with the 6700s, which run at the same temps as the qx6800s. Might not need a copper heatsink afterall.

The CPU's were rather rare and high end. They should be cheaper as you said, but still they are somewhat sought after.

Heck I'm even looking for a Core2Quad.

Yes those Quads are really good! Our Q9550 (Win 8.1 Pro) runs almost as fast as an i7 920!