R.I.P. Jimmy O. Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Cain wrote:
> zero wrote:

>> A 24/7 radio stram over at http://www.wkcr.org until Thursday
>> night/Friday.

> No such place according to my browser. Typo?

Works for me. I'm listening right now to the streaming MP3.

Your browser (and/or the DNS infrastructure and/or their web server
and/or "the internet" (i.e. TCP connectivity between your computer
and theirs)) is messed up.

- Logan

zero wrote:
>>>A 24/7 radio stram over at http://www.wkcr.org until Thursday
>>>night/Friday.
>>
>>No such place according to my browser. Typo?
>>

> hmm, Try this one then,
> http://www.columbia.edu/cu/wkcr/

Thanks, both work now. Dunno what was wrong earlier.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein

zero wrote:
> A 24/7 radio stram over at http://www.wkcr.org until Thursday
> night/Friday.
>
> Some of what I've heard so far is ammazing...

Thanks for that link. I've forwarded it on to a friend who plays
the B3[1]. I haven't talked to him recently, and I'm sure he's
crushed, but it might cheer him a little to listen to the memorial
and know others are listening too.

Whoa, right now they are playing a piano piece (sounds like
Gershwin's "Summertime"[2]), and it sounds like Jimmy is playing
the PIANO instead of the organ. And doing a pretty good job, too,
although I'm not sure why he's holding down the pedal so much.
But I'll forgive him since (a) I do that too, and (b) it's not
his primary instrument.

Anyway, I agree, he's pretty amazing.

- Logan

[1] If he heard me say that, he'd correct me and say that his
organ is actually a C3 and THERE IS A DIFFERENCE. (Although
apparently it has to do with the wood trim, and it's not a
_functional_ difference, but that's not the point.)

[2] If I got this wrong, I'm going to be embarassed, and my
jazz friends may not want to be associated with me anymore.
Which serves me right, since I profess to be sort of a
Gershwin freak. However, I don't have a complete collection
of Gershwin sheet music yet, since I've told myself not to
buy anything new until I can play what I already have
correctly. Unfortunately, I have a copy of "Rhapsody in Blue"
and also some Gershwin-arranged piano arrangements of stuff
like "Nobody But You" and "'S Wonderful", and these are
*tough*, so it may be another 5 or 10 years. :)