Sheryl

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2004

I recently unistalled my Canon MultiPass fax/printer/copier and installed
"Fax." I have checked to make sure that my internal analog modem was on the
XP compatible list. I have the fax configured to use the analog modem. When
a fax is incoming my phone just rings and rings. When I try to send a fax,
it just sits in the outgoing file. If I restart my computer, the fax machine
will work briefly. I am receiving an error message that states "the port the
modem is using is in use by another application . . ." My fax is using com3.
I connect to the internet via a cable modem. From what I can tell the cable
modem uses com1. Although neither device shows a conflict through Device
Manager, I read somewhere that com1 and com3 use the same port and com2 and
com4 use the same port thus causing the conflict.

Is there a way to solve my problem so I can send and receive faxes using Fax
Console?

Thanks,
Sheryl

Windows XP Fax is designed to work with an analog fax modem installed in a
PCI slot on your PC. You appear to be talking about a third party
"all-in-one" device for which XP Fax was not designed. You'll need to
contact Canon, I suspect.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Sheryl" <Sheryl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I recently unistalled my Canon MultiPass fax/printer/copier and installed
> "Fax." I have checked to make sure that my internal analog modem was on
the
> XP compatible list. I have the fax configured to use the analog modem.
When
> a fax is incoming my phone just rings and rings. When I try to send a
fax,
> it just sits in the outgoing file. If I restart my computer, the fax
machine
> will work briefly. I am receiving an error message that states "the port
the
> modem is using is in use by another application . . ." My fax is using
com3.
> I connect to the internet via a cable modem. From what I can tell the
cable
> modem uses com1. Although neither device shows a conflict through Device
> Manager, I read somewhere that com1 and com3 use the same port and com2
and
> com4 use the same port thus causing the conflict.
>
> Is there a way to solve my problem so I can send and receive faxes using
Fax
> Console?
>
> Thanks,
> Sheryl

Sheryl

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2004

Sorry for the confusion. I no longer am using the Canon device (both the
hardware and the software have been removed). I have installed a Brother
laser printer. I am attempting to send and receive faxes directly from my
computer using XP Fax.

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> Windows XP Fax is designed to work with an analog fax modem installed in a
> PCI slot on your PC. You appear to be talking about a third party
> "all-in-one" device for which XP Fax was not designed. You'll need to
> contact Canon, I suspect.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Sheryl" <Sheryl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I recently unistalled my Canon MultiPass fax/printer/copier and installed
> > "Fax." I have checked to make sure that my internal analog modem was on
> the
> > XP compatible list. I have the fax configured to use the analog modem.
> When
> > a fax is incoming my phone just rings and rings. When I try to send a
> fax,
> > it just sits in the outgoing file. If I restart my computer, the fax
> machine
> > will work briefly. I am receiving an error message that states "the port
> the
> > modem is using is in use by another application . . ." My fax is using
> com3.
> > I connect to the internet via a cable modem. From what I can tell the
> cable
> > modem uses com1. Although neither device shows a conflict through Device
> > Manager, I read somewhere that com1 and com3 use the same port and com2
> and
> > com4 use the same port thus causing the conflict.
> >
> > Is there a way to solve my problem so I can send and receive faxes using
> Fax
> > Console?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Sheryl

As the information comes trickling in... perhaps you could include the
analog fax modem you are now using and whether it appear on the Windows XP
HCL list.

--
> Sorry for the confusion. I no longer am using the Canon device (both the
> hardware and the software have been removed). I have installed a Brother
> laser printer. I am attempting to send and receive faxes directly from my
> computer using XP Fax.
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
> > Windows XP Fax is designed to work with an analog fax modem installed in
> > PCI slot on your PC. You appear to be talking about a third party
> > "all-in-one" device for which XP Fax was not designed. You'll need to
> > contact Canon, I suspect.
> > --
> > Russ Valentine
> > [MVP-Outlook]
> > "Sheryl" <Sheryl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I recently unistalled my Canon MultiPass fax/printer/copier and
installed
> > > "Fax." I have checked to make sure that my internal analog modem was
on
> > the
> > > XP compatible list. I have the fax configured to use the analog
modem.
> > When
> > > a fax is incoming my phone just rings and rings. When I try to send a
> > fax,
> > > it just sits in the outgoing file. If I restart my computer, the fax
> > machine
> > > will work briefly. I am receiving an error message that states "the
port
> > the
> > > modem is using is in use by another application . . ." My fax is
using
> > com3.
> > > I connect to the internet via a cable modem. From what I can tell
the
> > cable
> > > modem uses com1. Although neither device shows a conflict through
Device
> > > Manager, I read somewhere that com1 and com3 use the same port and
com2
> > and
> > > com4 use the same port thus causing the conflict.
> > >
> > > Is there a way to solve my problem so I can send and receive faxes
using
> > Fax
> > > Console?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Sheryl

Sheryl

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2004

The modem is a GTW V.92 modem, and yes it is listed on the HCL list.

Sheryl

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> As the information comes trickling in... perhaps you could include the
> analog fax modem you are now using and whether it appear on the Windows XP
> HCL list.
>
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Sheryl" <Sheryl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Sorry for the confusion. I no longer am using the Canon device (both the
> > hardware and the software have been removed). I have installed a Brother
> > laser printer. I am attempting to send and receive faxes directly from my
> > computer using XP Fax.
> >
> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> > > Windows XP Fax is designed to work with an analog fax modem installed in
> > > PCI slot on your PC. You appear to be talking about a third party
> > > "all-in-one" device for which XP Fax was not designed. You'll need to
> > > contact Canon, I suspect.
> > > --
> > > Russ Valentine
> > > [MVP-Outlook]
> > > "Sheryl" <Sheryl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> installed
> on
> > > the
> modem.
> > > When
> > > fax,
> > > machine
> port
> > > the
> using
> > > com3.
> the
> > > cable
> Device
> com2
> > > and

> using
> > > Fax

Then we would need to set up transmission and PSS logging to investigate
further, which will require extensive reg hacks. I can send instructions if
you want.
--
> The modem is a GTW V.92 modem, and yes it is listed on the HCL list.
>
> Sheryl
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> As the information comes trickling in... perhaps you could include the
>> analog fax modem you are now using and whether it appear on the Windows
>> XP
>> HCL list.
>>
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "Sheryl" <Sheryl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Sorry for the confusion. I no longer am using the Canon device (both
>> > the
>> > hardware and the software have been removed). I have installed a
>> > Brother
>> > laser printer. I am attempting to send and receive faxes directly from
>> > my
>> > computer using XP Fax.

>> installed
>> on
>> modem.
>> port
>> using
>> the
>> Device
>> com2

>> using

Sheryl

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2004

Please send the instructions. Do I post my email address on this forum? Sheryl

Just send it to me.