[SOLVED] r3 3100 with artic 34 duo or 3600 with stock

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
HI
my last pc lasted me 12 years i7 920 so i like long term choices. i wouldn t have changes cpu, my rig passed away..
it annoyed me to hear my pc fans.
i wont overclock . maybe in futur ill do video editing a play link quest.
i was reading about coolers and found artic34 at 69 cnd is good for 3100.
then i realise wait for only 40 dollars more i can get a r5 36oo (stock cooler).....

Dilema hahaha what should i consider? think about?
is 3600 on stock audible? sould il limite its performance for less noise?
would the system last longer with 3100 plus artic than 3600 stock? cause temp degrades matérial...

Last edited:
What is your budget and exactly what parts do you have now that you plan to RE-use in the new build? The fact that you are in Canada means everything is going to be significantly more expensive, but regardless you are going to need CPU, motherboard, memory and I HIGHLY recommend a good aftermarket cooler no matter WHAT Ryzen CPU you choose because there are some very distinct annoyances and disappointing performance from all of the Wraith coolers regardless of what CPU we are talking about.

There's a significant performance difference between a Ryzen 3100 and a Ryzen 3600.

Asking if a lower powered CPU (Ryzen 3100) with an aftermarket 120mm tower cooler would be quieter and cooler than a Ryzen 3600 with the stock heatsink?

If you ignore all longevity factors except heat, sure a cooler CPU would/should last longer. But a Ryzen 3600 CPU is going to outlast a 3100 in terms of performance/usability anyway.

We don't know what cooler you've got strapped to your i7-920. We don't know if the thermal paste between the cooler and the i7-920 has dried up. We don't know if the "fan noise" you're currently hearing is coming from the CPU heatsink fan, or your case fans.

Voltage. Luck of the draw on manufacturing process. Motherboard quality and VRM configuration. Power supply quality. BIOS configuration and/or CMOS/microcode considerations. Cooling, both CPU and case.

But mostly, voltage and cooling. For stock configurations and assuming all else is equal, all CPUs should have basically the same life expectancy so long as you are not manually overclocking and you have adequate cooling. Stock coolers are not what I consider adequate cooling. Having ONLY the fans that come with most cases, is not what I consider adequate cooling, in most situations.

even if 3100 is newer it shlould last longer ? why?
The Ryzen 3100 has 4 cores / 8 threads an runs "up to" 3.9GHz. It's the lowest/cheapest tier Ryzen 3000 CPU without an IGP.

The Ryzen 3600 has 6 cores / 12 threads and runs "up to" 4.2GHz.

Just because one CPU is released after another doesn't mean it performs better. The Ryzen 3600, 3600X, 3700X, 3800X, 3900X are all going to be faster than a Ryzen 3100 even though they're "older"

Reactions: Darkbreeze

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
hi vrm is all the small pieces of electronic ceramic and such right ? how can i take that into account when shoppoing for a mobo? where does it say good mad quality this that?

in general
and for actual choice that is MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX
MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX

You would have to simply research and look up reviews on the specific VRM configuration and components used, mosfets, etc., for each board, to see if there is info out there about it. Usually there is some kind of discussion regarding a specific VRM component selection if you look for it. I'm not going that deep into it, unless I really want a specific motherboard and can't find any in depth reviews on it that tells me what I want to know.

"Max" means they are compatible without the need for a BIOS update, with the Ryzen 3000 series CPUs. At this point though, MOST B450 motherboards being sold will already have a new enough BIOS that it is not a concern.

The Tomahawk max is somewhat better than the Gaming Plus Max, but both have very similar VRM configurations. The Tomahawk is a better choice though. The Gaming Pro Carbon or Gaming Pro Carbon WiFi are even better. There are definitely other options out there as well, those are just pretty solid go to options.

That would be hard to say since I can't find any definitive information on the specific breakdown of the VRM components used on the B450 Gaming Plus Max, only the Gaming Plus, and they are probably not the same. But, the difference between them is likely very minimal, as the difference between the Gaming Plus and Tomahawk are very minimal. If you want a very good board without spending a ton of money, then the B450 Gaming Pro Carbon Max is a really good choice, and it supports an additional M.2 drive not supported by any version of the B450 Gaming Plus or Tomahawk, whether Max versions or not. It also has a slightly more robust VRM configuration.