R5 1600/2600 or I5 8400/8500

Sep 1, 2018
Can't decide which cpu to get for my next build. 1600/2600 are relatively cheap right now but I want to give intel a chance since most of my previous builds have been intel. Cpu's will be paired with either a 1060 6gb or a 1070, haven't decided yet.

Solution
I would say it's best to look at your needs in order to choose which is the right choice for you. Broadly generalising Intel is best for pure gaming needs, and AMD's Ryzen is good at multi-tasking.

Depending what resolution and frame rates you're seeking (if gaming), then there may be little difference. At higher resolutions the workload falls to the graphics card, but at lower resolutions it is somewhat more dependent on the CPU. Again a broad generalisation.
I would say it's best to look at your needs in order to choose which is the right choice for you. Broadly generalising Intel is best for pure gaming needs, and AMD's Ryzen is good at multi-tasking.

Depending what resolution and frame rates you're seeking (if gaming), then there may be little difference. At higher resolutions the workload falls to the graphics card, but at lower resolutions it is somewhat more dependent on the CPU. Again a broad generalisation.

Solution
If streaming your games is something you might do, go with the 2600. If it's just gaming, then I'd price out both systems, CPU/motherboard, and pick the one that costs the least. If you intend to do something like high refresh rate gaming I might choose Intel just to squeeze every last frame per second possible out of it.