[SOLVED] R5 1600x OC upgrading motherboards help

OrientalFlavored

Commendable
Dec 3, 2019
Hello all, I'll be upgrading to a R5 3600x soon, currently on a R5 1600x OC to about 3.8 mhz. My current board with the 1600x is the B350 tomahawk. My package just came in with my new b450 gaming plus and a tower I ordered.

Should I wait to put all my components in when I have the new cpu or can I set up everything in the new tower and just swap the cpu's when come time? Does my old hardware "remember" my old motherboard and will affect stuff if I were to swap? I don't mind waiting but would also love to start building in my new tower. Thanks all!

Solution
you can build the system with the old CPU if you want to. you will only be wasting thermal paste, not waste but consume.
you can setup the new system with the old CPU and then just switch CPU's. this will allow you to verify the proper BIOS is installed to the new board before you install the 3xxx. the only thing you will need to change is in the BIOS. memory settings, etc.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
you can build the system with the old CPU if you want to. you will only be wasting thermal paste, not waste but consume.
you can setup the new system with the old CPU and then just switch CPU's. this will allow you to verify the proper BIOS is installed to the new board before you install the 3xxx. the only thing you will need to change is in the BIOS. memory settings, etc.

Last edited:
Solution

OrientalFlavored

Commendable
Dec 3, 2019
So if my current build is oc rn then is it saved to the motherboard? Will I be able to use the same settings from my b350 oc profile or just be stock 1600x until I swap?

OrientalFlavored

Commendable
Dec 3, 2019
Thanks so much!

OrientalFlavored

Commendable
Dec 3, 2019
Also I've heard this can effect windows. Will I need to get a new key and reinstall? Ty!

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
yes the overclocking settings should be set in the BIOS. as you are swapping the CPU's out so when you replace the 1600x the settings will still be active.

make sure the windows install is tied to your MS account and you should be able to migrate to the new system. for windows a motherboard swap is considered a new system.

OrientalFlavored

Commendable
Dec 3, 2019
yes the overclocking settings should be set in the BIOS. as you are swapping the CPU's out so when you replace the 1600x the settings will still be active.

make sure the windows install is tied to your MS account and you should be able to migrate to the new system. for windows a motherboard swap is considered a new system.
Will the OC settings remain the same or will I need to test again on the new b450 mobo?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
for the same exact CPU, yes you can use the settings that worked as a starting point. the 1600x on the new board for example. copy the settings to the new board and resume the OC.
for a new CPU, test. each CPU is different. each series has its own characteristics. a new CPU and board, you will need to get to know what each can do.

Reactions: OrientalFlavored

OrientalFlavored

Commendable
Dec 3, 2019
for the same exact CPU, yes you can use the settings that worked as a starting point. the 1600x on the new board for example. copy the settings to the new board and resume the OC.
for a new CPU, test. each CPU is different. each series has its own characteristics. a new CPU and board, you will need to get to know what each can do.
Thanks!