[SOLVED] R5 2600 at 103 degrees on Cinebench

Madtrack133

Commendable
Jan 9, 2021
I've read articles on the Ryzen 5 2600. People have managed to get over 3.85ghz on all cores before on the stock cooler.

However when my CPU is clocked to 3.85 on 3 cores, and 3.5 on the rest, I can't get close to reasonable temps. It can't complete Cinebench without reaching 105 degrees. Max temp verified via Ryzen Master, Hwinfo, Afterburner.

My question is whether I simply lost the 'silicon lottery' or if I am expecting unreasonable levels of performance.

PC Specifications:
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
CPU Cooler: Wraith Stealth
Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk
GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 1070 ti
PSU: Corsair CX650m

Solution
It's perfectly fine on stock, maxes at 75 degrees. I put the PC together 2 years ago, and I haven't taken it apart since.

It also never said the CPU was Thermal throttling according to hwinfo, even at 103 degrees.

Could it be my ambient temperature? My room temp is usually 37 degrees. (Australia, no air conditioning)
Well yes, all temps are influenced by environment temperatures. With those room temps when you just start PC and at idle, it's probably heating processor instead of cooling it. Still, at 105c it would throttle if left on auto.
I've read articles on the Ryzen 5 2600. People have managed to get over 3.85ghz on all cores before on the stock cooler.

However when my CPU is clocked to 3.85 on 3 cores, and 3.5 on the rest, I can't get close to reasonable temps. It can't complete Cinebench without reaching 105 degrees. Max temp verified via Ryzen Master, Hwinfo, Afterburner.

My question is whether I simply lost the 'silicon lottery' or if I am expecting unreasonable levels of performance.

PC Specifications:
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
CPU Cooler: Wraith Stealth
Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk
GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 1070 ti
PSU: Corsair CX650m
What voltages at full load ? Auto usually puts too high voltage. If you set manual OC than manual voltage should also apply.

I'm on 1.28v, which was set manually, any lower causes instability at that frequency. I previously tried auto voltage as well.
That's quite reasonable OC and voltage so something must be wrong with placement/mounting or maybe paste of the cooler. Did you just recently put it together ? Was it any better without OC and on auto settings ?
It should have slowed down or even turned off at over 95c,

Madtrack133

Commendable
Jan 9, 2021
That's quite reasonable OC and voltage so something must be wrong with placement/mounting or maybe paste of the cooler. Did you just recently put it together ? Was it any better without OC and on auto settings ?
It should have slowed down or even turned off at over 95c,
It's perfectly fine on stock, maxes at 75 degrees. I put the PC together 2 years ago, and I haven't taken it apart since.

It also never said the CPU was Thermal throttling according to hwinfo, even at 103 degrees.

Could it be my ambient temperature? My room temp is usually 37 degrees. (Australia, no air conditioning)

Well yes, all temps are influenced by environment temperatures. With those room temps when you just start PC and at idle, it's probably heating processor instead of cooling it. Still, at 105c it would throttle if left on auto.

Reactions: Madtrack133
Solution