R5 2600x or r7 1700x for gaming, streaming, VR, and screen recording?

Oct 5, 2018
Hey everyone!

I’m currently looking at building my first PC. It’s going to be an air cooled budget build, totalling around $630 excluding peripherals. I’ve decided to switch to the red team, considering Intel has the price range from “I make $5 a month” to “senior airline pilot”. I’m trying to decide between the Ryzen 5 2600x, and the Ryzen 7 1700x.

I currently have a very small YouTube channel which I’m looking to expand with this computer, I’ll mainly be recording gameplay and probably streaming further down the line. I usually play light games, such as Overwatch and some Fortnite, however (being a student pilot) I also am looking for something beefy to do flight simulation on (specifically FSX).

Later down the line I’ll probably buy a used PS4VR headset and do some Virtual Reality then. Which processor is better for that?

Here’s my parts list currently:

R5 2600x/r7 1700x
MSI B350 PC MATE ATX
G-skill Aegis 8GB DDR4 3000 RAM
72000 RPM HDD (no SSD’s for me)
GTX 1060 6 GB

The 1700x has more cores and threads, but according to UserBenchmark.com, the 2600x is slightly better. What should I go with?

(If you have any other recommendations, my CPU price range is under/around $230)

Thanks!

Generally speaking the 2600X will give you better performance in most games due to the stronger single thread performance over 1st gen Ryzens. You could also save alot and get a normal 2600 since out of the box the 2600X will give you maybe 3-5 more FPS per game, and you can overclock the standard 2600 to 2600X performance.

Now as far as the 1700X, unless the programs you are going to use to stream/video production specifically can take advantage of the higher core/thread cI dont see much of a reason to get it over the 2600.

As far as your RAM be sure you are running it in dual channel, for 8GB that would me 2 4GB sticks.

One last thing, you may want to get a B450 motehrbaord if you do go with the 2600 or 2600X, there's apparently conflicting reports of "out of box" compatibility with 2nd Gen Ryzens.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS