Hi,
so my buddy wanted a PC, i chose the parts for him:
R5 3600 with EVO 212
ASRock B450 Steel Legend
16 GB RAM from Gskill 3000
GPU RX 5700XT
Edit PSU is
Corsair CX Series CX550

we built it on sunday, turned it on, it posted got into Windows. OK, he drove back home, he has a child and not much time, next day, he says it crashes.

Yesterday and today we tried to find the error.

Windows crashes and shows:
clock_watchdog_timeout

The temps were in the 50s on idle even in BIOS.

The max Vcore Voltage was at 1.47 or so. Without OC, Stock settings.

Tried re-sitting the CPU, applying new paste, undervolting to 1.1V the temps went down, i even ran a prime95 for 10 minutes or so, the screen flickeded a few times and yeah, after 10 min, windows froze.

I underclocked it even further, to 1.085. I turned on and i told him he should try to game on it now.

Because again, neither of us has too much time.

Now he says it crashed again and showed the:
clock_watchdog_timeout
error again.

What can it be? Do you have any idea?

Tomorrow i'll take the PC home, and try something out. Suggestions?

I'm gonna see if the BIOS is uptodate, but otherwise, i don't know.

I built multiple PCs, but never before had that.

Some people in other forums say It's Windows, others say just don't overklock, put everything on stock, but we already did that. Not even Ram is overclocked, it's running stock as well.

Last edited:

metalhusky

Honorable
Feb 1, 2015
Hi, (i already posted it on "CPU", but i figured, maybe you guys here are more qualified)

so my buddy wanted a PC, i chose the parts for him:

R5 3600 with EVO 212
ASRock B450 Steel Legend
16 GB RAM from Gskill 3000
GPU RX 5700XT
Edit PSU is
Corsair CX Series CX550

we built it on sunday, turned it on, it posted got into Windows. OK, he drove back home, he has a child and not much time, next day, he says it crashes.

Yesterday and today we tried to find the error.

Windows crashes and shows:
clock_watchdog_timeout

The temps were in the 50s on idle even in BIOS.

The max Vcore Voltage was at 1.47 or so. Without OC, Stock settings.

Tried re-sitting the CPU, applying new paste, undervolting to 1.1V the temps went down, i even ran a prime95 for 10 minutes or so, the screen flickeded a few times and yeah, after 10 min, windows froze.

I underclocked it even further, to 1.085. I turned on and i told him he should try to game on it now.

Because again, neither of us has too much time.

Now he says it crashed again and showed the:
clock_watchdog_timeout
error again.

What can it be? Do you have any idea?

Tomorrow i'll take the PC home, and try something out. Suggestions?

I'm gonna see if the BIOS is uptodate, but otherwise, i don't know.

I built multiple PCs, but never before had that.

Some people in other forums say It's Windows, others say just don't overklock, put everything on stock, but we already did that. Not even Ram is overclocked, it's running stock as well.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Why are you undervolting? This often results in unstable systems.

Will the system perform properly a default settings?

Definitely update the BIOS if a more current version exists.

Did you get the heatsink attached tightly? What thermal compound did you use?

Also, the PSU is rated for less than the recommended 600w for the RX 5700 XT. Just something to be aware of. I would recommend replacement with a quality 650-750w PSU.

metalhusky

Honorable
Feb 1, 2015
Why are you undervolting? This often results in unstable systems.

Will the system perform properly a default settings?

Definitely update the BIOS if a more current version exists.

Did you get the heatsink attached tightly? What thermal compound did you use?

Also, the PSU is rated for less than the recommended 600w for the RX 5700 XT. Just something to be aware of. I would recommend replacement with a quality 650-750w PSU.

AT Stock the Voltage went up to 1.47! And temps at 55 degtee at idleling.

So i undervolted as the revommended OC Voltage for ryzen is 1.35, bu the temps were still hight so i undervolted, many recommend it on other Forums and in Videos.

Yeah, the BIOS should be Update i figured that and the Windows Update also make big differebce apparently. But i am now in a hispital, he will have to do it himself, i gave him the instructions already, well See.

Yes, the heatsink it applied properly. And the temp paste use Was the Stock ryzen one, the i resitted the CPU whiped it with isopropanol 98percent, use my MX2 that i always use.

As i said, i built quite a few pcs before, i just didnt have that speciffic isssue before.

Also the PSU is fine, i checked on the PSU calculator site 450 to 500 is fine it said, so thats why i made him get a 550w one. To be Sure it works. It a good one as well.

The Thing is that the Windows error is a clock watchdog, so it Looks like it gives way too much Voltage to the vcore for some reason, i Thing it's the BIOS and Windows Updates.

But i am not Sure.

EDIT damn my Phone autocorrected a bunch of <Mod Edit>,sorry for All the errors, above the mobile Website isnt great either.

Last edited by a moderator: