4.2ghz oc volts at 1.375 manual bios oc

Pbo disabled

Cpu Cooler is deepcool gammax 400 with 2 fans 1500rpm

2 140mm case fans front intake
1 120mm case fan back exhaust
2500rpm

Temps while gaming never exceed 65-70°c

Solution
Prime 95 really hits a processor harder than most anything else. so it is a worst case cooling scenario.
With that said your gaming temps are a little on the high side.
The Gammax 400 is comparable to the newer style wraith coolers, but a lot quieter with good fans installed.
If all you do is game and you do not expect room or ambient air temperatures to increase you are probably good.
If you plan on encoding, recording/streaming games , running F@H etc... you need a better cooler or better case airflow.
The wraith and Gammax are good enough for stock and mild overclocking. But not good enough for your overclock.
Prime 95 really hits a processor harder than most anything else. so it is a worst case cooling scenario.
The Gammax 400 is comparable to the newer style wraith coolers, but a lot quieter with good fans installed.
If all you do is game and you do not expect room or ambient air temperatures to increase you are probably good.
If you plan on encoding, recording/streaming games , running F@H etc... you need a better cooler or better case airflow.
The wraith and Gammax are good enough for stock and mild overclocking. But not good enough for your overclock.

Reactions: CompuTronix
Solution

CompuTronix

Intel Master
smoozable,

The latest version of Prime95 is 29.8. For a valid thermal test, run only Small FFTs with all AVX test selections disable. In this mode, Prime95 is a steady-state 100% workload that provides steady Core temperatures.

However, if you run it with all AVX test selections enabled, it can impose an unrealistic 130% workload which can adversely affect stability and severely overload your CPU .

A steady 100% workload is key for thermal testing so the CPU, cooler, socket, motherboard and voltage regulator modules (VRMs) can thermally stabilize, which in turn allows accurate measurements of Core temperatures.

CT :sol:

65-70c while gaming is not an issue at all...but like CompuTronix stated above you need to run Prime95 correctly. If you're still getting above 80c while running Prime95 with AVX off then you should investigate case airflow as the issue since the deepcool gammax 400 is plenty of cooler for a 3600 with pbo off.

Reactions: smoozable

smoozable

Reputable
Sep 23, 2017
65-70c while gaming is not an issue at all...but like CompuTronix stated above you need to run Prime95 correctly. If you're still getting above 80c while running Prime95 with AVX off then you should investigate case airflow as the issue since the deepcool gammax 400 is plenty of cooler for a 3600 with pbo off.
So should i stick with pbo instead ?
My msi tomahaek max places stock voltage at 1.45 when pbo enabled

smoozable

Reputable
Sep 23, 2017
I only do gaming
Is ot safe if i use this oc for a long time ?
It's the auto game boost btw in msi bios

So should i stick with pbo instead ?
My msi tomahaek max places stock voltage at 1.45 when pbo enabled

The benefits of over clocking vs pbo only come into play if you're running an all core load all the time...in normal use it's actually slower because the cores do not clock speed burst like they do under pbo. I have decided to let pbo do it's thing and run everything else stock on my 3600 and it runs great. I don't use Game Boost as I found it wasn't completely stable.

As far as pbo and 1.45v that is completely normal just be aware that Ryzen Master is the only way to get accurate core voltage. Other programs like HWinfo64 trigger the core when reading volts and temps causing a millisecond spike due to the way the Ryzen core bursts resulting in artifically high readings.

The Deepcool Gammax looks to be a fairly smallish heat sink....(i saw a few links for them at $20-$30?) Naturally, if running a CPU overclocked, your '65W TDP' is long since out the proverbial window)

What temps were you getting with the stock cooler?

Do your temps start lower at 85C, then rise to 99C? If so, I'd say your heatsink is simply being overwhelmed, and would recommend you investigate a Noctua variant.

(YOu also mentioned no options being selected on Prime95...did that include not selecting small FFTs? (Blended mode is default, and temps are normally ~10C lower)

smoozable

Reputable
Sep 23, 2017
The Deepcool Gammax looks to be a fairly smallish heat sink....(i saw a few links for them at $20-$30?) Naturally, if running a CPU overclocked, your '65W TDP' is long since out the proverbial window)

What temps were you getting with the stock cooler?

Do your temps start lower at 85C, then rise to 99C? If so, I'd say your heatsink is simply being overwhelmed, and would recommend you investigate a Noctua variant.

(YOu also mentioned no options being selected on Prime95...did that include not selecting small FFTs? (Blended mode is default, and temps are normally ~10C lower)

No my temps are fine
Gameboost enabled 4.2ghz
My temps 55-69° during gaming and in cinebench i dont exceed 82°
It only hit that figure in prime
I disabled gameboost
Am going to reset my bios and leave everything on Stock