[SOLVED] R5 3600 or R7 2700? (they are same price)

May 19, 2020
Hi, Im planning an upgrade from my skylake I5 to Ryzen. With arival of zen3 prices in my country dropped. Im currently deciding between R5 3600 (158 eur) and R7 2700 (160 eur) . However I know they are capable CPUs, I dont know a thing about
amd chipsets and im not able to choose between those 2 CPUs and huge amount of MBs . As far as I read, B450 would be enough for my needs (I dont need SLI nor more then one fast SSD, I just want to OC). Ive read some reviews and found out that some boards have issues with powering CPUs.
Im considering those:
ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING II
ASUS TUF B450-PRO GAMING
MSI X470 GAMING PRO MAX
MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX
ASROCK B450 Steel Legend
Can you please help me decide? They are all around the same price tag 80-90 euros.

Last edited:
Solution
Hi, Im planning an upgrade from my skylake I5 to Ryzen. With arival of zen3 prices in my country dropped. Im currently deciding between R5 3600 (158 eur) and R7 2700 (160 eur) . However I know they are capable CPUs, I dont know a thing about
amd chipsets and im not able to choose between those 2 CPUs and huge amount of MBs . As far as I read, B450 would be enough for my needs (I dont need SLI nor more then one fast SSD, I just want to OC). Ive read some reviews and found out that some boards have issues with powering CPUs.
Im considering those:
ASUS TUF B450-PRO GAMING
MSI X470 GAMING PRO MAX
MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX
ASROCK B450 Steel Legend
Can you please help me decide? They are all around the same...
Im considering those:
ASUS TUF B450-PRO GAMING
MSI X470 GAMING PRO MAX
MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX
ASROCK B450 Steel Legend
Can you please help me decide? They are all around the same price tag 80-90 euros.
For gaming alone the 3600 will be the better choice. But for anything that needs a lot of threads the 2700X starts looking better.

If choosing the 3600 make certain any 400 series motherboard is Ryzen 3000 Ready; it probably is (the MSI Max's will be for certain) but it doesn't hurt to check.

Solution
Nov 9, 2020
For gaming alone the 3600 will be the better choice. But for anything that needs a lot of threads the 2700X starts looking better.

If choosing the 3600 make certain any 400 series motherboard is Ryzen 3000 Ready; it probably is (the MSI Max's will be for certain) but it doesn't hurt to check.
To add to that, the 3600 probably has better support for faster RAM speed as well. With my 2700x I am only able to get 3200MHz on my 3600 Trident Z kit. Otherwise I love my CPU and never notice any performance issues. Luckily i got mine for $115 (US) on FB marketplace brand new, open but never installed.

With the 3000 series I would also look for a board that has a flash bios button and USB, it makes updating your BIOS much easier as you don't have to have CPU or RAM working to get it updated. All you would need is a USB stick with BIOS version on it.

Nov 9, 2020
Im considering those:
ASUS TUF B450-PRO GAMING
MSI X470 GAMING PRO MAX
MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX
ASROCK B450 Steel Legend

Some things to look for in MOBO is specific additional features. For example my board has an integrated High Performance audio chip that allows more amps to push my open back headphones to their potential. (MSI PRO Carbon AC)

To add to that, the 3600 probably has better support for faster RAM speed as well. With my 2700x I am only able to get 3200MHz on my 3600 Trident Z kit.
The impact of memory transfer rates higher than 3200 is really marginal...and going to be unnoticeable in gaming. My 3700x is comfortable with 3600 memory clocks: it's nice to see, but that's about it.

And many of the even higher transfer rates people are able to get with ryzen 3000 (upwards of 3800) often comes with higher latency, which mitigates it's benefit even further.

May 19, 2020

Thank you for advice. Im not doing anything apart of gaming, statistics (SPSS, Rstudio) and ocasionally some video editing or graphics visualisation (photogrametry), apart from gaming my I5 was fine for everything mention. I wanted to do GPU upgrade, but its pointless wihout CPU upgrade 4c/4t is just not enough anymore.

Thank you for advice. Im not doing anything apart of gaming, statistics (SPSS, Rstudio) and ocasionally some video editing or graphics visualisation (photogrametry), apart from gaming my I5 was fine for everything mention. I wanted to do GPU upgrade, but its pointless wihout CPU upgrade 4c/4t is just not enough anymore.

Your gaming interests will definitely benefit more from the 3600.

As far as your statistics apps and graphics apps: it depends entirely on the app themselves and how they utilize the CPU. Many Adobe products, e.g., Photoshop, benefit more from single thread performance for instance. But even if they do want a lot of threads, if they're fast enough with a 4c/4th CPU currently to not be annoying the 3600 still makes more sense.

May 19, 2020
Your gaming interests will definitely benefit more from the 3600.

As far as your statistics apps and graphics apps: it depends entirely on the app themselves and how they utilize the CPU. Many Adobe products, e.g., Photoshop, benefit more from single thread performance for instance. But even if they do want a lot of threads, if they're fast enough with a 4c/4th CPU currently to not be annoying the 3600 still makes more sense.
Upgrade is not rushing me maybe Ill wait for ZEN2 to get into discount with ZEN3 on the market. Anyway thanks for your help.

TRENDING THREADS