[SOLVED] R5 3600 overclock/boost/temperature question....

formulafox

Reputable
Feb 23, 2018
So, I've got a question regarding my Ryzen 5 3600. Since setting up my system, I have noticed the 3600 while idling spikes as high as 55C(from as low as 42C). In watching my Task Manager I notice that this always coincides with it boosting the frequency for some reason. After looking up some info and finding this to be pretty common, I also found out about going into the BIOS and limiting the boost to reduce the strain.

So I went and did so, however instead of limiting the boost I ended up setting the CPU to a full-time block of 3.8GHz. BUT I noticed that the CPU temperature is now stable at 32-35C with spikes as high as 44 when I actually do things. This seems a bit odd to me since it bottomed out at 44C before, and that got me a little curious, so I went to look up some other things, but couldn't seem to find what I'm really curious about.

So, here are the questions:
  1. Is it really just the process of the turbo boosting that causes these big spikes in temperature, or is it still related to how much it's boosting?
  2. What should I expect on temperature if I set the clock to remain at 4.0 or 4.1? (I'm not a heavy gamer -Battletech is the most powerful game on my system- so I probably won't boost to that level anyway, I just want to know for future reference)
  3. Is there any risk to keeping the R5 3600 at a full-time 3.8GHz clock? (I would think not since it's on the lower end of the boost range, but better to ask than to assume)

Thanks for all info you can provide.

Solution
Setting your CPU multiplier to 38 is a mild Overclock.
It locks all cores to 3.8 Ghz instead of the stock 3.6 Ghz or lower when combined with the AMD Ryzen Balanced Power Plan.
As for what the voltages are with that OC you would need to look at HWInfo or Ryzen Master to see.

Ultimately you are Better off using the stock Boost configuration than using an all core OC with Ryzen 3000 CPUs.

And Optimized Defaults are call UEFI Defaults in your BIOS.
Load UEFI Defaults Load UEFI default values for all options. The F9 key can be used for this operation
Look at Page 75 in your MB Manual:
B450M-HDV R4.0.pdf (asrock.com)

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
I would set the Clock Multiplier back to Auto in the BIOS.
Then Install the AMD Chipset Drivers for your chipset (B450/X470/B550/ or whatever you have).
Then use the AMD Ryzen balanced Power Plan with the Minimum Processor state set to 20% like this:
View: https://imgur.com/4sxKxHU

Also, list your full system specifications (Exact MB model, Exact RAM kit model, Exact PSU model, etc.).

formulafox

Reputable
Feb 23, 2018
I would set the Clock Multiplier back to Auto in the BIOS.
Then Install the AMD Chipset Drivers for your chipset (B450/X470/B550/ or whatever you have).
Then use the AMD Ryzen balanced Power Plan with the Minimum Processor state set to 20% like this:
View: https://imgur.com/4sxKxHU

Also, list your full system specifications (Exact MB model, Exact RAM kit model, Exact PSU model, etc.).
I already had the Chipset Drivers and the Power Plan was already set as such.
I have switched the settings back to Auto in the BIOS and am getting the same elevated temperature ranges as I had before changing the clock speed. (EDIT: I just noticed that the clock speed according to Task Manager is NEVER dropping below 3.8 even at idle)

As for specs
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
AsRock B450M-HDV R4.0 motherboard
32GB DDR4-3200 OLOy RAM
Rosewill Captsone 550W PSU

formulafox

Reputable
Feb 23, 2018
Is it Downclocking to around 2.2 GHz when you use the Balanced Plan ?
My 3700x downclocks to 2.2 Ghz (according to HWInfo) at idle:
View: https://imgur.com/hu8AeT6

Free Download HWiNFO Sofware | Installer & Portable for Windows, DOS
Your 3600 should do the same, which will lower the temps at idle.
Also have you set a decent Fan curve up for your CPU cooler ?

It never goes below 3.6 according to HWinfo, and Tak Manager says it never goes below 3.8.
Changing my fan curve makes little difference, as they have to be near full power to make a discernible difference at idle. I have a pretty decent balance between sound and speed as a result.

EDIT: HWinfo saw a drop to 3.4 moments after I posted this.

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
It never goes below 3.6 according to HWinfo, and Tak Manager says it never goes below 3.8.
Changing my fan curve makes little difference, as they have to be near full power to make a discernible difference at idle. I have a pretty decent balance between sound and speed as a result.

EDIT: HWinfo saw a drop to 3.4 moments after I posted this.
Have you tried the Newest version of the AMD Chipset Drivers (2.10.13.408 with newest Power Plan) ?
B450 Drivers & Support | AMD
Also do you have the Minimum Processor State set at 20% ?
If I leave mine at the stock Plan setting of 99% my 3700x will only go down to 3.6 GHz and Boost up as needed.
But with it set at 20% it will go down to 2.2 GHz.

formulafox

Reputable
Feb 23, 2018
Have you tried the Newest version of the AMD Chipset Drivers (2.10.13.408 with newest Power Plan) ?
B450 Drivers & Support | AMD
Also do you have the Minimum Processor State set at 20% ?
If I leave mine at the stock Plan setting of 99% my 3700x will only go down to 3.6 GHz and Boost up as needed.
But with it set at 20% it will go down to 2.2 GHz.
As I noted before, I already have those drivers, and have the power plan set as you specified.

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
Are you running windows 10 - 1909 or newer ?

Have you tried setting the BIOS back to Optimized Default settings just to see if that affects your CPU clocks in Windows /
If not then I would try that.

Also what BIOS version are you using ?

formulafox

Reputable
Feb 23, 2018
Are you running windows 10 - 1909 or newer ?

Have you tried setting the BIOS back to Optimized Default settings just to see if that affects your CPU clocks in Windows /
If not then I would try that.

Also what BIOS version are you using ?
I'll doublecheck on these when I have a moment, as something came up a short time ago I msut deal with, but I wanted to ask real quick before I get back to it exactly how this is going to help answer my original inquiries? So far nothing you have asked me to do has provided me with any answers to the questions I posted.

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
I'll doublecheck on these when I have a moment, as something came up a short time ago I msut deal with, but I wanted to ask real quick before I get back to it exactly how this is going to help answer my original inquiries? So far nothing you have asked me to do has provided me with any answers to the questions I posted.

Overclocking a 3600 can be risky, if the voltage is too high your CPU can degrade.
Also Oveclocking a 3600 will cause you to lose single core performance which is important for gaming and general use of your PC.
My posts were made to try and get you to lower temps without OCing that CPU.

Read this (it's uses a3700x BUT it applies to your 3600 as well):
AMD Ryzen 3000 overclocking and why you shouldn’t bother | PCGamesN

formulafox

Reputable
Feb 23, 2018
Overclocking a 3600 can be risky, if the voltage is too high your CPU can degrade.
Also Oveclocking a 3600 will cause you to lose single core performance which is important for gaming and general use of your PC.
My posts were made to try and get you to lower temps without OCing that CPU.

Read this (it's uses a3700x BUT it applies to your 3600 as well):
AMD Ryzen 3000 overclocking and why you shouldn’t bother | PCGamesN

Well, I'm not looking to overclock, either, and that's why when I tried to limit the boost clock I set it the lower end of the CPU's boost range, and I would assume voltage is not an issue in that range.

BIOS version is P3.70 . Default settings are what I've been running at when I didn't have the core clock setting changed - never saw an "optimized default" option.

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
It locks all cores to 3.8 Ghz instead of the stock 3.6 Ghz or lower when combined with the AMD Ryzen Balanced Power Plan.
As for what the voltages are with that OC you would need to look at HWInfo or Ryzen Master to see.

Ultimately you are Better off using the stock Boost configuration than using an all core OC with Ryzen 3000 CPUs.

Load UEFI Defaults Load UEFI default values for all options. The F9 key can be used for this operation

Solution

formulafox

Reputable
Feb 23, 2018

Okay, then the only thing that was ever out of default when I had the CPU frequency set to auto was my RAM clock speed, which I had previously set to 3200 because the BIOS insisted on setting it to 2800. (I set it back after forcing defaults on everything with F9 just to be sure)

Thinking about the power profile option - if I lower the MAXIMUM processor state a bit would that help without causing any other concerns? I'm really only looking to keep the boost down a bit to see if that helps.

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
Okay, then the only thing that was ever out of default when I had the CPU frequency set to auto was my RAM clock speed, which I had previously set to 3200 because the BIOS insisted on setting it to 2800. (I set it back after forcing defaults on everything with F9 just to be sure)

Thinking about the power profile option - if I lower the MAXIMUM processor state a bit would that help without causing any other concerns? I'm really only looking to keep the boost down a bit to see if that helps.
Yes lowering the Maximum to 99% would for the CPU to Not boost as high.

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
Huh. It doesn't even hit it's listed base clock at 99%. Tops out at 3.5GHz.
Yeah, I just tried that and my 3700x idles at 2.2 GHZ but only boosted to 3.5 GHz.
But something is weird with your Power Plan / Windows setup, setting the Minimum to 20% absolutely should let your CPU idle at around 2.2 GHz but for some reason on your system it doesn't.

Do you have some background apps running (like Steam) that is forcing your CPU to not actually Idle.
My CPU shows 1% usage at idle in Task manager, what does yours show as.

Last edited:

formulafox

Reputable
Feb 23, 2018
Yeah, I just tried that and my 3700x idles at 2.2 GHZ but only boosted to 3.5 GHz.
But something is weird with your Power Plan / Windows setup, setting the Minimum to 20% absolutely should let your CPU idle at around 2.2 GHz but for some reason on your system it doesn't.

Do you have some background apps running (like Steam) that is forsing your CPU to not actually Idle.
My CPU shows 1% usage at idle in Task manager, what does yours show as.
I do usually have Steam running in the background(plus a couple other small things) but when I do idle testing I always close them. However, I DO think I might have missed something at the time I checked the minimum power thing, as HWinfo now lists the lowest clock speed it registered as 2.5GHz. Low enough that I think its fair to say it's doing what it should, even if still running a bit higher than the 2.2 it should be.

Reactions: DMAN999

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
I do usually have Steam running in the background(plus a couple other small things) but when I do idle testing I always close them. However, I DO think I might have missed something at the time I checked the minimum power thing, as HWinfo now lists the lowest clock speed it registered as 2.5GHz. Low enough that I think its fair to say it's doing what it should, even if still running a bit higher than the 2.2 it should be.
Yeah, 2.5 GHz at Idle is fine.
That means that the Balanced Power Plan is doing it's job.