[SOLVED] R5 3600x - Boost a tad low?

Jason3022

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2012
I've had my computer for about 1 week:

While running Metro Exodus (1440 / 60hz, Ultra setting), I decided to try MSI Afterburner/Rivatuner
All cores seem to run at 4.225. Shouldn't they be running at ~ 4.4?

I have made no changes, no overclocks etc.
Bios is F41 (July 22/2019)

I realize it's not going to make or break my little gaming sessions by missing out on ~ 200 mhz per core, but hey - I feel like I really wasted the extra money now. I've read elsewhere that other 3600/3600x/3700x users are having similar findings.

Anyone with any thoughts/suggestions at this point?
--------------------------------------------------
Windows 10/64-bit
Gigabyte B450 Pro WiFi
R5 3600x
Gigabyte 5700 XT Gaming OC
16gb DDR-4 G.Skill Trident 3200
Adata Xpg Sx8200 1TB Nvme M.2 (boot drive)
Crucial ssd 525 Gb
Evga 650w Supernova G5
Dell: 25" - 2560 x 1440 60hz

Solution
You could and should upgrade the BIOS, theres been lots of micro-code updates in the last months and weeks. Also there are newer chipset drivers that you should download from AMD web site.

Also a game is not really a good way to see how higher all your cores can boost at the same time. Best way, for me, is to download Cinbench R15 (run the all core test) while monitoring the CPU using Ryzen Master or hwinfo portable 64 bits (https://www.hwinfo.com/download/). I preffer hwinfo because it have a clear MIN/MAX/AVG values button that you can and should press as soon as Cinebench start rendering, it also keeps track of the MAX boost/temps and volatges values and is portable!!!

That way you can check what the boost is and how it...
You could and should upgrade the BIOS, theres been lots of micro-code updates in the last months and weeks. Also there are newer chipset drivers that you should download from AMD web site.

Also a game is not really a good way to see how higher all your cores can boost at the same time. Best way, for me, is to download Cinbench R15 (run the all core test) while monitoring the CPU using Ryzen Master or hwinfo portable 64 bits (https://www.hwinfo.com/download/). I preffer hwinfo because it have a clear MIN/MAX/AVG values button that you can and should press as soon as Cinebench start rendering, it also keeps track of the MAX boost/temps and volatges values and is portable!!!

That way you can check what the boost is and how it behave during the rendering, also see how high it gets before the benchmark ends.

Remember that as soon as the CPU gets hot the boost frecuency will drop, and then it may go up a bit again if the temps and voltage allow it. Its not a fixed thing.

Lastly depending on the game, you will see diferent boost speeds, it will vary according on the game engine, how well optimized is, how many cores it use, etc.

~ 4.4GHz will only work on 1 core, which you can also check using Cinebench R15 single core test. Actually while doing this test you will see the "1 core workload" in hwinfo jumping all over the "best cores" and not fixed to only one.

Cheers

Solution
I've had my computer for about 1 week:

While running Metro Exodus (1440 / 60hz, Ultra setting), I decided to try MSI Afterburner/Rivatuner
All cores seem to run at 4.225. Shouldn't they be running at ~ 4.4?

I have made no changes, no overclocks etc.
Bios is F41 (July 22/2019)

I realize it's not going to make or break my little gaming sessions by missing out on ~ 200 mhz per core, but hey - I feel like I really wasted the extra money now. I've read elsewhere that other 3600/3600x/3700x users are having similar findings.

Anyone with any thoughts/suggestions at this point?
--------------------------------------------------
Windows 10/64-bit
Gigabyte B450 Pro WiFi
R5 3600x
Gigabyte 5700 XT Gaming OC
16gb DDR-4 G.Skill Trident 3200
Adata Xpg Sx8200 1TB Nvme M.2 (boot drive)
Crucial ssd 525 Gb
Evga 650w Supernova G5
Dell: 25" - 2560 x 1440 60hz

Nope. That's perfectly normal. 4.4ghz is max core boost and it's possible that not all cores can achieve 4.4ghz. Under a gaming load 4.2 is where it should be. Load up a stress test like p95 and you'll see even lower clocks.

And as stated above the latest BIOS update may net you 25-50mhz higher boosts.

Last edited:
Reactions: WildCard999

Jason3022

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2012
Well I feel silly.
9.5 years with my i7-860 you'd think I'd have paid attention to single core rated values.

I updated to the latest Bios (Oct.18/2019 - F42f), ran Cinebench & Hwinfo and I think I saw the cores bounce up a tad higher than previously. Although, even in single core test - I don't think I saw it hit 4.4.
When in multi-core, the highest I think I saw some cores hit were 4.317, so pretty close.

Metro Exodus - running Msiafterburner - see about 4225 all cores more or less, so about the same and normal as you mentioned.

Well I feel silly.
9.5 years with my i7-860 you'd think I'd have paid attention to single core rated values.

I updated to the latest Bios (Oct.18/2019 - F42f), ran Cinebench & Hwinfo and I think I saw the cores bounce up a tad higher than previously. Although, even in single core test - I don't think I saw it hit 4.4.
When in multi-core, the highest I think I saw some cores hit were 4.317, so pretty close.

Metro Exodus - running Msiafterburner - see about 4225 all cores more or less, so about the same and normal as you mentioned.

Those results, once again, seems to be good. Are you using the stock cooler? Is your case well ventilated? How many case fans does it have ? Temps can also limit Ryzen from boosting.

Since day one, (july 31 when I build my new system) my Ryzen 5 3600 with stock cooler was able to reach 4192MHz (4.2GHz) on single core test every single time I tried.

Not all cpus are made the same. So how close where you to 4.4GHz on the single core test?

Jason3022

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2012
Thanks for your tips on the Hwinfo (min/max/average).

Results:
(1) Cinebench R20 - Single core test - Core 1 & 2 hit 4367 max.

(2) With just a Chrome Browser open? - Core 0,2,3,4 hit 4392 max.

Case: Fractal Design Focus G atx - 2 x 120mm front, 1 x 120mm rear, 1 x 120mm top = 4
CPU cooler is whatever came with it, Wraith Spire?

Thanks for your tips on the Hwinfo (min/max/average).

Results:
(1) Cinebench R20 - Single core test - Core 1 & 2 hit 4367 max.

(2) With just a Chrome Browser open? - Core 0,2,3,4 hit 4392 max.

Case: Fractal Design Focus G atx - 2 x 120mm front, 1 x 120mm rear, 1 x 120mm top = 4
CPU cooler is whatever came with it, Wraith Spire?

Then I believe everything is as it should be, nothing to worry about. Just enjoy your PC.