Question R5 5600X + 6600 XT or R5 3600 + 6700 XT? 1080p 144Hz

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FoxInFlames

Prominent
Jan 3, 2022
Well, basically I'm building a PC that i want to reach high refresh rates at 1080p, with 120+ at high/ultra presets if possible in AAA.

So earlier i was going for a R5 5600X + RX 6600 XT, then i noticed that AMD smart access memory is available for the R5 3600 too, so i did a bit of change of plans and found that i could get a RX 6700XT and still make it fall in the budget (sorta, I'll have to spend a little higher than what i aimed for but it's bearable)

So what should I get? A R5 5600X + RX 6600 XT or R5 3600 + RX 6700 XT?

Assuming I'll not upgrade to 1440p anytime soon and i want it to last as much as possible.

FoxInFlames

Prominent
Jan 3, 2022
As i said, if the AIO is well....not very good i can also go for a core frozr L

Thing is, I want all of it to be MSI, and then with all AMD parts and a vampiric c12 ryzen edition, all of it will look good together imo

[Ik it's a bit childish, as users normally put the most budget appealing parts together too, but yeah, it'll look good together]

Plan to, is it bad, though?

It looks pretty, I considered it myself, but I haven't read good things about it. I've seen a lot of posts reporting that it has failed prematurely, always very difficult to know how serious the issue is though. Some had issues with one of these on a thread here the other day and many people responded saying it had problems.

Airing on the side of caution I would recommend the Artic Freezer II as an alternative:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ARCTIC-Liquid-Freezer-All-One/dp/B07WSDLRVP?th=1

As i said, if the AIO is well....not very good i can also go for a core frozr L

Thing is, I want all of it to be MSI, and then with all AMD parts and a vampiric c12 ryzen edition, all of it will look good together imo

[Ik it's a bit childish, as users normally put the most budget appealing parts together too, but yeah, it'll look good together]
No no, aesthetic is important. You've got a theme going, so I don't want to disrupt that. It's just I've seen a number of posts about it that's all, so I thought I'd warn you just in case.

I read stuff about it on reddit and other places, idk whether they faced problems later on with it, but the comments were mostly positive, along the lines of "it kept temps down and i couldn't even feel the vibrations, and the fan is silent too"
The performance of it is fine, it's the reliability that's in question. If you look at user reviews on places like Amazon, they are mostly very positive. I just don't know how representative the negative posts are about it's reliability are. It does seem like the design of the pump which is different to many other AIO's and it's placement in the case might be part of the problem:

FoxInFlames

Prominent
Jan 3, 2022
it's the reliability that's in question
Yes, I'll be honest the AIO was kinda suspicious, i mean, other from the likes of aorus are much higher priced (but yeah, the Arctic is on almost the same price and deepcool, cooler master and a handful of others are cheaper) . Which makes me more attracted towards the frozr which ngl, will look cool with that metallic body of sorts and the red logo of MSI.

https://www.amazon.in/MSI-Cooler-Silver-Core-Frozr/dp/B07DQ96XDL?th=1&psc=1

I'm just considering everything at this point, because i want this build to last as much as possible

I appreciate that, thanks.

Well, as i said, if it'd be too risky, i could always decide on a core frozr L, that's an air cooler, so won't come with the usual 'risks' liquid coolers have (such as leaks or whatever happens with some of the AIO's)
It does seem that most people have issues from the beginning. I also note there is a MSI MAG CORELIQUID 240R V2 as well. It's probably the case you would be fine, none of the tech sites have reported on any issues with it. It's only reddit and the occasional post here. If you type in Corsair AIO failure, you'll also find posts too, it just seemed a little more common with the Mag but that's anecdotal evidence.

FoxInFlames

Prominent
Jan 3, 2022
Can you share a link. It’s nearly impossible to put a % on a bottleneck. The game, game settings, resolution, running V-Sync will all have an effect on if a cpu ‘bottleneck’ exists.
I think the % in bottleneck is in the sense in when the GPU will run with the top notch CPU's like the i9, and then with the 3600, and then the percentage is basically the difference in the fps.

Which is tbh, true in a sense but not really concerning, everything bottlenecks everything to a limit, it's just that it's minimal in some cases and over the hedge in others.

I might be wrong though.

coolraveen

Commendable
May 26, 2020
Can you share a link. It’s nearly impossible to put a % on a bottleneck. The game, game settings, resolution, running V-Sync will all have an effect on if a cpu ‘bottleneck’ exists.
Yes its really impossible to put a value, its not a real bottleneck but it will depend upon the games we play, according to scattervolt, sorry my bad not hardware unboxed,

RTX 3070 + Ryzen 3600 Benchmarks - Value Combo or Big Bottleneck? - YouTube

Basically most reviewers said at 1080p it was not than bad, literally they didnt see much difference between the 5600X and 3600 at 1440p and above, but at 1080p it showed at graphics intensive games like cyberpunk 2077, but it was not that bad. but many reviewers were not that sure at high fps 1080p, simply put they were not bad, i arrived at 15% by just comparing with 5600X at not all games after looking at gameplays. but they didnt specifically mention 15% (it was my theory value).

FoxInFlames

Prominent
Jan 3, 2022
Well, i watched a bit of benchmarks and arrived to a conclusion.

I'll go with the 5600X + 6600XT, because i say both builds benchmarks, the 6700XT hits 90-95 fps with the 3600, but the 6600XT build goes well over 100.

That's the side point, the main point is that buying a better psu was out of the question with my budget this way. And the other way, i could get a better one AND the option for 32 gigs of ram and/or an M.2 with more storage.

In short, going all out with this gpu here seems to be too compromising.

I'll go with the 5600X + 6600XT, because i say both builds benchmarks, the 6700XT hits 90-95 fps with the 3600, but the 6600XT build goes well over 100.

That's the side point, the main point is that buying a better psu was out of the question with my budget this way. And the other way, i could get a better one AND the option for 32 gigs of ram and/or an M.2 with more storage.

Well is your call :) . I think is a nice combo and yes if 1080p is all you need and want for the future then it kinda make sense.

Just keep in mind that games are not static, they evolve, patches and updates add new effects, etc. so the numbers you saw may differ, not by a lot but they may in the future.

Reactions: coolraveen

coolraveen

Commendable
May 26, 2020
This was in assassin's creed Valhalla
Yes as RodroX said its your choice, Yes buying the latest gen CPU now is not a problem, point is these days every new or successive generation gives a easy 15% IPC gain, So 5600X will be easily bested by the next AM5, So point is you have to decide buying the top GPU with 3600, and Ocing it and upgrading to the 5600X later. given that the performance loss with RTX 3080 is very marginal for 3600 as of now according to hardware unboxed or scatter volt , for me that 10fps difference does not matter, and will upgrade to the 5600X later. because upgrading to a CPU with the same mobo is easy or better than the GPU.

FoxInFlames

Prominent
Jan 3, 2022
because upgrading to a CPU with the same mobo is easy or better than the GPU.
That was what wouldn't have been as easy here, because in the 6700XT build, i was going for a b450, whereas with the 6600XT, I can go with the better B550 and the 5600X.

Also, point to be added, if the gigabyte rx 6600xt comes back in stock, I'll get a full gigabyte build then, it'll cost slightly lesser than the msi build (again, if the 6600xt comes back in stock here by the time I 'get going' AND if that aorus AIO gets cheaper, it's not so budget oriented for now) otherwise the msi build gives me some breathing room to add an RGB strip or two anyways, or to make it more out-of-the-ordinary, can always go for 32 gb ram.

Reactions: coolraveen

A very wise decision, balance and quality is a better choice than a more expensive GPU imo.

Ikr, i think I'll go for the RAM, and anyways i don't fancy too many lights (i fancy RGB components, but lights will be probably a bit too much)
I use lighting strips in my PC, I'd be very confident in saying you won't find them too much. I don't have RGB fans though because didn't want all the cabling. If you do have RGB fans then your probably don't need lighting strips. They would compliment RGB RAM quite well though so you could always add one or two strips at a later date.

FoxInFlames

Prominent
Jan 3, 2022
I use lighting strips in my PC, I'd be very confident in saying you won't find them too much. I don't have RGB fans though because didn't want all the cabling. If you do have RGB fans then your probably don't need lighting strips. They would compliment RGB RAM quite well though so you could always add one or two strips at a later date.
Not all of my fans are RGB, i mean, I'm taking the MAG vampiric 011C ryzen edition, it has a rear RGB fan pre-installed, and (as i previously said), the coreliquid for the top two fans, as the front panel is opaque and doesn't let the fans show anyways, getting RGB there is a waste of money IMO.

So yeah, almost every peripheral has RGB.

TRENDING THREADS