Question R5 5600X + 6600 XT or R5 3600 + 6700 XT? 1080p 144Hz

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FoxInFlames

Prominent
Jan 3, 2022
Well, basically I'm building a PC that i want to reach high refresh rates at 1080p, with 120+ at high/ultra presets if possible in AAA.

So earlier i was going for a R5 5600X + RX 6600 XT, then i noticed that AMD smart access memory is available for the R5 3600 too, so i did a bit of change of plans and found that i could get a RX 6700XT and still make it fall in the budget (sorta, I'll have to spend a little higher than what i aimed for but it's bearable)

So what should I get? A R5 5600X + RX 6600 XT or R5 3600 + RX 6700 XT?

Assuming I'll not upgrade to 1440p anytime soon and i want it to last as much as possible.

FoxInFlames

Prominent
Jan 3, 2022
Truth be told I'd have loved to go with NZXT but their prices are abysmal here, I'd be paying around 1/2 (more accurately, 3/5th) of my budget just for the motherboard.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
coreliquid for the top two fans
The questionable quality of Msi's MAG and MPG Coreliquids aside, that orientation may not hold up as long with the pump in radiator models; you can't avoid exposing the pump to air in that position.

Maybe you've already seen the images of those coolers mounted at the top in Msi's own site, but that's the folks running the marketing side of things - they don't really pay attention to the engineering stuff.
The Vampiric O11's front panel isn't a great location for a radiator, either, so I hope you at least have a backup cooler on hand when things go south with the Coreliquid AIO.

FoxInFlames

Prominent
Jan 3, 2022
so I hope you at least have a backup cooler on hand when things go south with the Coreliquid AIO.
Well, if it does have such problems, i can always go for that air cooler, the frozr L

I just don't know whether the frozr L's increased price over that coreliquid implies that the frozr is better or the coreliquid is worse

But I'll just calculate some numbers right now and see what fits in my budget tbh, if okay, then I'll go for the frozr

FoxInFlames

Prominent
Jan 3, 2022
Well, gigabyte dropped, it's more expensive than the msi one even if you choose an arctic AIO instead of an aorus.

Say, how about getting another chassis, a mag forge 100r, and getting the 240mm radiator to the front and those front two pre-installed fans to the top?

FoxInFlames

Prominent
Jan 3, 2022
The MAG Forge 100R looks like it'll be ok for that.
I decided on something else again : p
What about a MPG GUNGNIR 110M, and bring a coreliquid 360r on the front?

Also, side question, while I'm not really hitting the very top of my budget with the B550 tomahawk, is the X570-A pro good? It's about 13 USD cheaper than the B550 here (and to be honest, that fan on it interests me)