[SOLVED] R5 5600X cant' OC

Majkel133

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2015
Hi,

My 5600X just won't OC :-( I try all tips from TY and nothing. I try 4.7GHz with PBO and pass all bench 1h OCCT, Prime95, cb r23, cb r20, Geekbench 5 but when I open Chrome and start watching YT just crash after 4min. In the event viewer, it was written Processor APIC ID: 5 but in PBO I set this core to negative 0(default). Also try manual OC but crash on 4.6GHz 1.30V 1.32V, 1.35V, 1.375V 1.381V, 1.387V. So I try stock underV in PBO all cores -30 pass all tests, crash in Vallhalla. I try set PPT, TDC and EDC. Maybe it's PSU, RAM or MOBO's fault? Now I just stayed on the stock 5600X 1.40V -_-. Any solution? Need help boys&girls.
Ps. Sorry for the English.

ASRock X570M Pro4
RX 6700 XT Red Devil
SeaSonic Focus plus gold 750W
G.Skill Ripjaws V (2x8 GB) CL15 2400 MHz
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 (Rev.3)

Solution
I don't have a 5600X, and with the silicon shortage I don't expect to be able to work with one anytime soon, however I do have a 5900X and have gotten very good overclocking results with it. Your overclocking will be a bit different than my experience due to I'm using both a manual overclock and curve optimization boost for single core (I have the Asus Dark Hero motherboard which I believe is the only motherboard capable of doing that). I have been happy with the results as my 24/7 overclock is 4.65Ghz all core and 5Ghz single / dual / quad core boost.

I was getting the same random crashes as you are describing. I could pass all the stability tests and do all the benchmarking I wanted but the minute I would launch some mundane...
I don't have a 5600X, and with the silicon shortage I don't expect to be able to work with one anytime soon, however I do have a 5900X and have gotten very good overclocking results with it. Your overclocking will be a bit different than my experience due to I'm using both a manual overclock and curve optimization boost for single core (I have the Asus Dark Hero motherboard which I believe is the only motherboard capable of doing that). I have been happy with the results as my 24/7 overclock is 4.65Ghz all core and 5Ghz single / dual / quad core boost.

I was getting the same random crashes as you are describing. I could pass all the stability tests and do all the benchmarking I wanted but the minute I would launch some mundane program (internet, YouTube, just launching MS Word, ect..) I would run into random reboots. It took forever to nail down the issue but I finally fixed it. First off I would suggest adjusting LLC and CPU current capability. Everyone's CPU is different but adjusting to LLC to the second highest level (Level 3), and setting the CPU current capability to 140% worked great in my case. By setting the LLC higher my random reboot issue became drastically better, but did not stop. What ended up being my issue was LLC and I was running my curve optimization too aggressively. With curve optimizer the lower you set the negative curve the higher your boost clock will be. I was hitting rather consistent 5.150Ghz single core boost, however it was causing the random reboots. On my system if I set the best cores to -15 on the curve optimizer I would hit 5.150Ghz, however it wasn't stable. I had to adjust my curve optimization to -12 and -13 on my best cores, along with the LLC adjustment to achieve stability.

I would suggest keeping most settings on stock, enable DOCP (for your RAM profile), set FCLK to half your RAM speed, enable all PBO options, and utilize the curve optimizer (under advanced overclocking options) to set your boosting behavior. Your best cores will have the biggest negative value. Typically -12, -13 (from what I've seen in other threads) will get your best cores to boost to ~5Ghz, all other cores should be set below that (ie ~ -10). I would also suggest adjusting your LLC and CPU current capability to whatever your system needs to achieve stability. I have a lot of other little tweaks, but those would be the major ones to get the best performance.

I've been running my PC for over a month with these settings and haven't had any random reboots. I hope my experiences with overclocking Zen 3 will help you.
CPU-Z validation:
4.65Ghz all core: https://valid.x86.fr/5d32t2
4.725Ghz all core: https://valid.x86.fr/j9d0wd
Cinebench R20 - single core 651
- multi core 9360
Cinebench R23 - single core 1668
- multi core 23762

Last edited:
Reactions: Majkel133
Solution

Majkel133

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2015
Ok, so
LLC set to lvl 3
VDDR_SOC LLC also lvl3?
Vcore Voltage and VDDR_SOC Voltage on auto aye (I have 2 options, offset mode/fixed mode)?
Over Current Protection and Over Voltage Protection disabled?
In PBO Scalar keep auto or hit x1.?
Do u keep default PPT TDC and EDC? I just want to know mate.
What setup did u set in PBO limits, Disable, mobo or manual?

Ok, so
LLC set to lvl 3
VDDR_SOC LLC also lvl3?
Vcore Voltage and VDDR_SOC Voltage on auto aye (I have 2 options, offset mode/fixed mode)?
Over Current Protection and Over Voltage Protection disabled?
In PBO Scalar keep auto or hit x1.?
Do u keep default PPT TDC and EDC? I just want to know mate.
What setup did u set in PBO limits, Disable, mobo or manual?

Don't set the VDDR_SOC LLC, leave that one on AUTO. If you have the option enable PBO Fmax Enhancer (this will help with single core boost). Vcore voltage leave on auto, by using the curve optimizer in advanced PBO settings you will actually be setting your Vcore offset through that. You will want to set the curve optimizer to per core so you can set the offset for each core individually. CPU SOC voltage (VDDSOC voltage) for Ryzen processors is usually recommended to be 1.1 to 1.125V, I personally use 1.1V. I don't think I ever touched over current protection or over voltage protection, but those both seem like things you would want to keep on AUTO or enabled. The whole idea of using the curve optimizer and setting negative offsets is to increase the boost frequency of the cores through under volting... I would think that you wouldn't need to worry about over current to over voltage, but those seem like things I would personally leave on AUTO or enabled. My PBO scalar I have set to 2X, however you will have to see what works best for your processor... My 3800X got the very best boosting behavior with PBO scalar set to 10X, but 10X didn't work well at all for my 5900X. The PPT, TDC, and EDC are all best controlled through BIOS by setting the PBO Limits (under advanced overclocking\amd overclocking\PBO) to either motherboard or disabled. Setting the PBO Limits to motherboard will set the PPT, TDC, and EDC limits to what your motherboard is specked to, disabling it will remove the limits and allow it to boost to its absolute maximum. I get the best results on my rig by disabling the PBO Limits, but I have very good cooling and some of the very best VRMs available on any motherboard, so if you want to get a good boost but error on the side of caution you could set that to motherboard.

Been so long since I was working on my overclock I forgot about all those settings...

Majkel133

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2015
I Tried, can't hit the sweet spot. So I tried CTR 2.1 and it was nice, tempt and V go dawn but he only hit 4.4GHz.
iNMiiuE.png