[SOLVED] R5 5600x goes 90 degrees with AIO when idle

Aug 29, 2021
Hello.
A few days ago, I upgraded my display card from 1050ti to 3080. After that, my CPU, AMD R5 5600x goes around 80c to 90c when idle with MSI coreliquid 240r. The usage on task manager is around 1% to 10%. When I was playing games (e.g. apex, division 2, bf5 etc ), the temperature went over 95c which everything becomes slow and laggy. Sometimes everything no response and I have to restart the PC by the button. Btw I am not sure is it already that high before I upgraded my display card since I didn't check any monitor (at least I didn't feel any laggy). Sorry for my bad English. Please tell me if I missing any necessary information. Also, I find that half of my aio is coming out of hot wind but the other half is cool wind and one of the tube is very very hot, one is warm.

Here's what I tried:
  1. Reseating the cooler
  2. Checking the sides of the fans
  3. Reinstalling windows
  4. Wipe the thermal paste and apply again.
After those trials, The temperature when idle has lowered to around 60c to 70c but still goes up to 95c when gaming.

Spec:
AMD Ryzen 5 5600x
MSI coreliquid 240r
X570 tomahawk
Galax RTX 3080 SG 1-click boost
HyperX fury 16Gb x2 3600mhz
MSI gungnir 110r

Solution
The pump is receiving power, and you can feel the liquid moving through the tubes?
Pump speed was set to max in bios?

If you push down on the cpu block, there should be no wiggle room or give. If there is movement, you need to reapply paste and remount the cooler again.
I know you posted that you already did this, but still...

Aside from the usual cooler mounting and power on questions...
You need to mount the radiator at the front, with the fans pulling air through the radiator and inside the chassis.
Due to the pump being in the radiator, you can't keep this cooler mounted at the top.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The pump is receiving power, and you can feel the liquid moving through the tubes?

If you push down on the cpu block, there should be no wiggle room or give. If there is movement, you need to reapply paste and remount the cooler again.

You need to mount the radiator at the front, with the fans pulling air through the radiator and inside the chassis.
Due to the pump being in the radiator, you can't keep this cooler mounted at the top.

Solution
Aug 29, 2021

I am sorry, but can you talk more about the pump receiving power? Are you meaning that it is working? i cant feel the liquid moving around but only the temperature change, is there another way to confirm it is working? (rgb light on and fan is working)

Talking about mounting, yes I mount it on the top with fans on the inside. Moving it to the front, what side the tube should be? top or bottom?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I am sorry, but can you talk more about the pump receiving power? Are you meaning that it is working? i cant feel the liquid moving around but only the temperature change, is there another way to confirm it is working? (rgb light on and fan is working)
Turn the PC off, unplug just the radiator fans, and turn it on again. Can you feel vibration from the radiator and through the tubes?
Go ahead and turn it back off and reconnect the radiator fans - you might have a harder time recognizing vibrations from the pump if the rad fans are moving too.

Moving it to the front, what side the tube should be? top or bottom?
Ideally, the bottom, but I understand that this isn't always possible

Aug 29, 2021
Turn the PC off, unplug just the radiator fans, and turn it on again. Can you feel vibration from the radiator and through the tubes?
Go ahead and turn it back off and reconnect the radiator fans - you might have a harder time recognizing vibrations from the pump if the rad fans are moving too.

Ideally, the bottom, but I understand that this isn't always possible
hey, allow me to ask again, "with the fans pulling air through the radiator and inside the chassis," does it mean the fans mount between the case and the radiators and sucking wind from outside to inside? sorry for my very bad english

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
hey, allow me to ask again, "with the fans pulling air through the radiator and inside the chassis," does it mean the fans mount between the case and the radiators and sucking wind from outside to inside? sorry for my very bad english
No, like this:
iu

For reference:
iu

Aug 29, 2021
Yo I just tried moving the radiator to the front but I can’t do this without removing one fan. Is it one fan few in the front matter so much?
Anyway, I tried. These isn’t any difference. I notice that only one pipe of the AIO very hot but the other one not even warm. Is there a possibility that the pump is dead?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Yo I just tried moving the radiator to the front but I can’t do this without removing one fan. Is it one fan few in the front matter so much?
Are you talking about the regular chassis fans? You're supposed to remove them.

Anyway, I tried. These isn’t any difference. I notice that only one pipe of the AIO very hot but the other one not even warm. Is there a possibility that the pump is dead?
It's either dead, or not receiving power. Either way - liquid isn't flowing, and if liquid isn't flowing, one tube is going to feel noticeably different.

Reactions: alexbirdie
Aug 29, 2021
Are you talking about the regular chassis fans? You're supposed to remove them.

It's either dead, or not receiving power. Either way - liquid isn't flowing, and if liquid isn't flowing, one tube is going to feel noticeably different.
I have tried switching to the 5600x stock fan and the temp is normal. It should be confirmed that the pump is dead i think?
Thank you for your help anyway.

I have tried switching to the 5600x stock fan and the temp is normal. It should be confirmed that the pump is dead i think?
Thank you for your help anyway.
I'm not confident the AIO pump is dead:

It may be attached to the wrong terminals on the motherboard using a fan profile removing power from the pump, which it must not ever.

You should be able to check pump RPM in monitoring utilities if it's correctly connected to the CPU Fan or Pump headers on the motherboard. Have you checked that?

You should have the pump's profile set to 12V, full speed, all the time in BIOS. Are you sure it's setup right?

You can also connect the pump to any open fan header but it must be set to DC control, +12V all the time.

And last, you can use an adapter and connect the pump to a SATA power cable. That will feed it +12V all the time but you may have no RPM monitoring.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2021
I'm not confident the AIO pump is dead:

It may be attached to the wrong terminals on the motherboard using a fan profile removing power from the pump, which it must not ever.

You should be able to check pump RPM in monitoring utilities if it's correctly connected to the CPU Fan or Pump headers on the motherboard. Have you checked that?

You should have the pump's profile set to 12V, full speed, all the time in BIOS. Are you sure it's setup right?

You can also connect the pump to any open fan header but it must be set to DC control, +12V all the time.

And last, you can use an adapter and connect the pump to a SATA power cable. That will feed it +12V all the time but you may have no RPM monitoring.
Yes. I check that when I have a high temp on my CPU. There is pump RPM and is around 4500 RPM.