[SOLVED] R5 5600X not posting on B550i

Xman31

Reputable
Jul 12, 2017
I've got a rather complicated problem that I can't solve.

My new R5 5600X won't boot on my new Aorus B550i Pro AX motherboard. I've tested the CPU on another system and it works fine. I tested the motherboard with my old R5 1600X and it works fine. In terms of troubleshooting, I've:

• Updated BIOS to newest version (F13i)
  • Reset CMOS (shorted pins, and unplugged battery for 15 minutes)
  • Set Pcie lanes to Gen3 (I am using a riser cable locked to Gen 3 speeds)
  • Using different RAM
I've spent a whole day at this build trying to get it to boot, and so far the only luck I've had is with my old CPU. I can't even fathom what the problem is. The BIOS is up to date, I've reset the CMOS, it's compatible with the RAM and all the components work. It's doing my head in, has anyone had any issues with compatible components not working? The only issue I can think of would be the riser cable. But it works fine with my old components, and the lanes are set to Gen 3 speed so both should be communicating. No dice, however.

My components:
CPU: R5 5600X
MB: Gigabyte Aorus B550i Pro AX Rev 1.
GPU: Gigabyte Eagle RTX 3070 OC
PSU: Cooler Master V650 SFX
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32gb 3200mhz (Default to 2133mhz)

Any help is appreciated, I'm at a complete loss.

Solution
I'd pull the riser cable out and try it without it.

If it still won't work with the riser cable removed you should pull everything but the cpu, gpu, and one memory stick to see if you can get into the BIOS. If you still can't get into the BIOS with a minimal setup it's time to start RMA requests on motherboard, cpu, and memory.

GoofyOne

Commendable
Apr 4, 2021
I don't know whether it is relevant to your problem, but I noticed on the Gigabyte support page for your motherboard there is a 'chipset driver' download that mentions support for Vermeer Cpu's which is what the Ryzen 5 5600x is.

You may have already installed that of course, so I am probably no help.

{GoofyOne's 2c worth}

I'd pull the riser cable out and try it without it.

If it still won't work with the riser cable removed you should pull everything but the cpu, gpu, and one memory stick to see if you can get into the BIOS. If you still can't get into the BIOS with a minimal setup it's time to start RMA requests on motherboard, cpu, and memory.

Solution
I've got a rather complicated problem that I can't solve.

My new R5 5600X won't boot on my new Aorus B550i Pro AX motherboard. I've tested the CPU on another system and it works fine. I tested the motherboard with my old R5 1600X and it works fine. In terms of troubleshooting, I've:

• Updated BIOS to newest version (F13i)
  • Reset CMOS (shorted pins, and unplugged battery for 15 minutes)
  • Set Pcie lanes to Gen3 (I am using a riser cable locked to Gen 3 speeds)
  • Using different RAM
I've spent a whole day at this build trying to get it to boot, and so far the only luck I've had is with my old CPU. I can't even fathom what the problem is. The BIOS is up to date, I've reset the CMOS, it's compatible with the RAM and all the components work. It's doing my head in, has anyone had any issues with compatible components not working? The only issue I can think of would be the riser cable. But it works fine with my old components, and the lanes are set to Gen 3 speed so both should be communicating. No dice, however.

My components:
CPU: R5 5600X
MB: Gigabyte Aorus B550i Pro AX Rev 1.
GPU: Gigabyte Eagle RTX 3070 OC
PSU: Cooler Master V650 SFX
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32gb 3200mhz (Default to 2133mhz)

Any help is appreciated, I'm at a complete loss.
How far does the boot process go with 5600x ? Do you sea anything on screen ? Can you go in the Bios ?

What puzzles me, is that you managed to boot with a 1600X, which is not supposed to be supported anymore.
Is this you mobo ?
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B550I-AORUS-PRO-AX-rev-10/support#support-cpu

Xman31

Reputable
Jul 12, 2017
@dorsai @jay32267 Riser was the culprit. Thanks for the suggestions. I completely disassembled it and tried without the cable, it booted normally. Went into the BIOS and manually changed the lane configuration to Gen 3 speeds rather than Gen 4 as changing the CPU reset the config for some reason. I reckon the GPU was negotiating a Gen 4 signal and that's why I wasn't getting a video signal. Once set, I put the riser back and tried again and it worked.

Thanks guys.

Reactions: dorsai and egda23