R7 1700 dead after bios update?

ThatPatriot

Reputable
Jun 9, 2016
Okay, because this took me by surprise, ill explain a bit of what happened.

Basically, a friend of mine bought a gigabyte b350 mobo and the r5 2600. For that reason he asked me if i could lend him my r7 1700 for the bios update. I went to his house, updated the bios successfully, installed windows 10 no prob.

After we were done with that, i went back to re-insert my cpu back to my pc. When i placed it in and powered it on, the pc didnt do anything. Literally nothing. As if it didnt even have a psu. No fans spinning, no ram leds blinking, no mobo leds turning on.
I checked the psu if it had died somehow, but after shorting the 20th and 21st pins on the mobo cable, the psu turned on.
I removed the cpu and tried powering in on again, and this time, fans spun up, leds turned on, all normal.

Does that mean that my cpu just died from a normal bios update? Im 1000% certain i did nothing wrong when i was removing my cpu or anything of that sort.
Anybody has any idea what happened?

ThatPatriot

Reputable
Jun 9, 2016

Ah yes, i forgot to mention the fact that the cpu is perfectly fine, no bent pins, no paste on pins or the socket or the pcb, and that i have tried clearing the cmos.

ThatPatriot

Reputable
Jun 9, 2016
Update: I sent my old R7 1700 back to AMD and they sent me a replacement. Still the same things are happening. But, i noticed something else today. If i place the new cpu in the socket with the retention arm down, the pc wont even power on. If the cpu is in the socket but the retention arm is not down, then the pc will turn on normally. The CPU Power cable doesnt matter if it is plugged in or not. I tried this small experiment with both unplugged and plugged. Same things happen.

On top of that, i noticed that the fan on my reference RX 480 doesnt spin at all, in any case. Whether the pc is with the cpu in or out, whether the pc has power or not, the gpu fan wont spin at all.

At this point im looking for another am4 motherboard nearby to try and test my cpu there. If it is okay, then ill just buy a new motherboard and be done with all this.

ThatPatriot

Reputable
Jun 9, 2016

Aw. I saw a notification on my emails that somebody responded in my post, but i was expecting a solution. Oh well.
Will do, i guess. Although dont expect some insane ending with gunfights. Most probably ill just get a new mobo and whatnot and ill just be done with all this.
Ive been without my pc for like a month now.

ThatPatriot

Reputable
Jun 9, 2016
Looks like this was the problem. I gave my pc to a mechanic nearby, and he checked the motherboard with a huuge magnifying glass.
Well in short, he found half a cpu pin in a hole.
How only half the pin managed to break, and not entirely, or just bend, no idea. So my assumptions were correct, that the motherboard was the main problem.

Thankfully, my new CPU isnt damaged by being placed inside the socket in which there is a stray half pin from a previous cpu, thank jesus.
Anyway thank everybody who actually cared to comment on this post.