[SOLVED] R7 1700 / MSI x370 Gaming Plus / RipJawsV 3200 Overclock Help

Derek James

Honorable
Mar 30, 2015
Hello Everyone,

This is my first PC build 4 years ago and has been really smooth a few bsod over the years but it was a new platform. So just last week my windows system shut itself down and wouldnt post into bios even. My specs are a r7 1700 3.5 OC at 1.275 Volts, MSI x370 gaming plus bios version 7A33v5H before 3000series beta, RipjawsV F4-3200C16D-16GVK was set to 3200Mhz in XMP profile. This was running well for years till last week. I took apart and cleaned my pc, was due for it anyways. I was able to get a better OC for my CPU 3.4Ghz @ 1.1875 volts offset. My temps at 35c idle and doesn't hit 65c under heavy load. Yet, I cannot get my RAM to set up to 3200MHZ I have tried both the XMP and DOCP and setting my voltage to 1.35 and timings to CL16-16-16-36 as the RAM module package says. I would be thankful for any help to get my system to better clocks.

Solution
It is not uncommon as you change power parameters for the CPU in order to get a better CPU (clock) speed increase that it also change factors for your memory OC. Much of the time you have to find the balance between the two.

I personally found that keeping my memory at 29xx or 30xx speed worked better than pushing to 3200+ on my 1st gen rigs. I ran into a lot of instability with it until I just conceded and went with the lower speed. In addition to that I really had to do a lot of trial and error (read as praying) trying out newer BIOS. My X370 Taichi and AB350 Fatality are on BIOS revisions past recommended. I am not saying you should try it, but both of my machines have been pretty rock solid since.

On a side note, I feel like your...
Hello Everyone,

This is my first PC build 4 years ago and has been really smooth a few bsod over the years but it was a new platform. So just last week my windows system shut itself down and wouldnt post into bios even. My specs are a r7 1700 3.5 OC at 1.275 Volts, MSI x370 gaming plus bios version 7A33v5H before 3000series beta, RipjawsV F4-3200C16D-16GVK was set to 3200Mhz in XMP profile. This was running well for years till last week. I took apart and cleaned my pc, was due for it anyways. I was able to get a better OC for my CPU 3.4Ghz @ 1.1875 volts offset. My temps at 35c idle and doesn't hit 65c under heavy load. Yet, I cannot get my RAM to set up to 3200MHZ I have tried both the XMP and DOCP and setting my voltage to 1.35 and timings to CL16-16-16-36 as the RAM module package says. I would be thankful for any help to get my system to better clocks.
So you can post now and are just trying to get help with your overclocks? Your post is a bit unclear

Derek James

Honorable
Mar 30, 2015
So sorry I am able to post and run my machine just fine with my cpu OC to 3.4 @ 1.1875 volts. Yet my RAM speeds will not OC anymore to 3200Mhz when it was doing so fine for years. They are at default now 2133Mhz and I am not sure how I can get my RAM speeds back it was a pretty big boost for my 1700 cpu.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
So sorry I am able to post and run my machine just fine with my cpu OC to 3.4 @ 1.1875 volts. Yet my RAM speeds will not OC anymore to 3200Mhz when it was doing so fine for years. They are at default now 2133Mhz and I am not sure how I can get my RAM speeds back it was a pretty big boost for my 1700 cpu.
Set the timings and speed and up the voltage from 1.35 to 1.4

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
It is not uncommon as you change power parameters for the CPU in order to get a better CPU (clock) speed increase that it also change factors for your memory OC. Much of the time you have to find the balance between the two.

I personally found that keeping my memory at 29xx or 30xx speed worked better than pushing to 3200+ on my 1st gen rigs. I ran into a lot of instability with it until I just conceded and went with the lower speed. In addition to that I really had to do a lot of trial and error (read as praying) trying out newer BIOS. My X370 Taichi and AB350 Fatality are on BIOS revisions past recommended. I am not saying you should try it, but both of my machines have been pretty rock solid since.

On a side note, I feel like your original OC was a bit low on clock for that voltage. I know every chip is different, but mine stayed pretty stable at 3.7 @ 1.2125. The issue I ran into was that the OC stated would be fine about 7 months of the year, then summertime would cause ambient to go too high to support it reliably, even in AC.

Solution

Derek James

Honorable
Mar 30, 2015
Thank you both. Setting my voltage to 1.4 my memory and system are stable at 3200Mhz RAM. My system was getting dirty and needed thermal paste to reapply. My temps were getting higher so I though a re-tune and cleaning would help. After that and messing with voltage my temps are at 35c. Now with my memory OC to 3200 and my CPU at 3.4 with 1.1875 volts I am sitting at 40c idle. Under load it gets up to 68c. Which on a stock cooler is well enough for me.