[SOLVED] R7 1700 stock cooler temps high?

Feb 27, 2019
Recently I have put together my first build, it is primarily going to be used as a gaming pc but I wanted the extra cores and the 1700 was the same price as the 2600 when I purchased it.

Specs:
R7 1700 stock cooler
H500 case stock config (plan to add 2 fans at the front)
b450 tomahawk board

Overclocked currently @ 3.6GHz 1.1375V, temps sit @ 37-40°C on idle and under aida64 for 45mins max temp was @73.8°C.
I can get 3.7GHz stable @ 1.2250V, max temp after aida64 45min run was @ 86.9°C. (anything after 1.2V tested on prime95 and I feel it would go over 90°C)

Do the temps at those voltages seem normal or should I reapply paste, (used mx-4 instead of stock paste) I put a dot about the size of a pea then smoothed it out over the entire IHS, my question is did I just get a hot chip or bad paste application or would it be worth buying an aftermarket cooler or something as I'm pretty sure this chip can do 3.9/4ghz.

It's also worth mentioning that the MB's auto voltage was set to 1.35V, and I was not able to get the cpu cooler on without what I thought was excessive force so instead of risking it at my expense I had the local pc repairs place put it on for me, the guy mounted it in a case (I was trying on the MB box) and it looked like he managed it with relative ease.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2019
If you mixed two different TIMs, yeah... I would clean the surfaces and start over with one paste only. What were the load temps when the CPU was at stock clocks?
Before I tried installing the cooler I cleaned off the existing paste with 60% isopropyl alcohol, I didn't test for temps at stock because I assumed it was fine and went straight to OC but I think I would get higher temps if anything since it was at 1.35V before I changed anything?