Question r7 1700x all core turbo boost

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
i recently built a pc for a friend, i left it without overclocking because the case doesn't have the best airflow and the heatsink i used is small thanks to the small case

i left bio untouched, so when i ran cinebench r15 i got a nice surprise, all cores boosting to 3.6ghz, it was supposed that it only could boost to 3.5ghz

for a moment it tried to go upt to 3.7ghz

anyone had a similar experience?

i recently built a pc for a friend, i left it without overclocking because the case doesn't have the best airflow and the heatsink i used is small thanks to the small case

i left bio untouched, so when i ran cinebench r15 i got a nice surprise, all cores boosting to 3.6ghz, it was supposed that it only could boost to 3.5ghz

Max clock boost is 3.8GHz.
https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-7-1700x
BTW, Cinebench can't push it far enough for max boost, try Geek bench

You're probably seeing the result of XFR boosting, which is what the 'X' model Ryzen 1st gen CPU's offered. XFR would (supposedly) boost 100Mhz over turbo boost speeds with sufficient thermal headroom. Never worked as well as manual overclocking though as with a good mobo you could get 4.1Ghz in a manual overclock, 4.2 very rarely. But even the 3.9-4.0 most motherboards allowed was a nice improvement for those processors.

Gen 1 are the only Ryzen processors you couldn't really expect Precision Boost or XFR boosting to do as well as a manual overclock.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
i'm sure this motherboard with that cpu can give easily 4.0ghz with manual overclock

but the pc is used also for web browsing, youtube, is a multipurpose pc, so if i leave it overclocked it will push 8 cores at that speed all the time basically, so is a waste of electricity and more heat on the case, so i left it with the stock settings taking advantage of the x capabilities and higher stock speeds

the performance boost at 4 ghz is like 5 to 8% more or less, over the 3.6ghz it gives now, so is not a big loss really, specially with the small gpu it has now, just a gtx 750 ti, that hoppefully will be upgraded to something like a rx5500 or a gtx1650, whatever is cheapest and more available, probably the gtx, for the cuda cores, that help alot in blender, that is used on that machine often

the cpu was so cheap when we got it, it was impossible to let it go, it would have been nice to get a 2700x for example but this r7 was a impossible to pass deal, so even with not so perfect xfr, very happy with the results