Jan 1, 2022
Hi,
I have just bought an AMD Radeon R7 250 2GB DDR3. And I was just wondering if I would be able to run it on my 240W PSU without any issues.
My specs are:
i5-2400
16GB DDR3
I would only be playing games like CS:GO and Minecraft, most likely low graphic settings.
Thank you

Jan 1, 2022
Can we see a picture of the label on the PSU?
Hi yes, here is the image, its a dell prebuilt so it's one of those special PSUs.
Thanks
1xiA37.jpg

Jan 1, 2022
240w is enough as what i found on the net. and minecraft doesn't need much
i think you will be ok if you are using low end games
Would it be able to handle long term use or would I need to change the PSU at some point?
I also forgot to mention the size of the case is an sff, and since it houses a specific PSU would it be okay to just have the PSU operating outside of the case, if I were to ever upgrade?
It would also just be on my desk

Remeca

Reputable
Would it be able to handle long term use or would I need to change the PSU at some point?
I also forgot to mention the size of the case is an sff, and since it houses a specific PSU would it be okay to just have the PSU operating outside of the case, if I were to ever upgrade?
It would also just be on my desk
Don't bump it while it's on. Every PSU will have to be replaced eventually but that gpu will not shorten its lifespan.

Reactions: vermi
Jan 1, 2022
Thanks all so much for the advice!
One last thing, would this be good enough for streaming or would the load be too much on the PSU? Again I would most likely only stream CS:GO at 1080p

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I told you DONT WORRY! your problem is solved now! it wont put too much load on the PSU :) You can stream CS:GO with no issue :)

Good luck!
Wrong. That psu came out prior to January of 2011. It's 10 years old ± and will have suffered an unknown quantity of capacitor degradation. It started out new as a 204w psu on the 12v rail and currently could be as low as 140-150w easily. It had a 1 year warranty to start with, and has seen usage far beyond its expected lifespan.

There is No Guarantee it will work, or not work. At this point in its lifespan, it's pot-luck. It may or may not work, it may last another few years or a matter of minutes into a game.

Amd gpus are well known to spike, and just as well known to pull every erg of power from a pcie slot that they can, some pulling as much as 90w+.

Will it work, maybe. Will it last, probably not for all that long. The psu at this point is such an unknown that it's realistically impossible to say, it was already close to minimum limits and where that limit is now, nobody can say for certain.

Jan 1, 2022
Wrong. That psu came out prior to January of 2011. It's 10 years old ± and will have suffered an unknown quantity of capacitor degradation. It started out new as a 204w psu on the 12v rail and currently could be as low as 140-150w easily. It had a 1 year warranty to start with, and has seen usage far beyond its expected lifespan.

There is No Guarantee it will work, or not work. At this point in its lifespan, it's pot-luck. It may or may not work, it may last another few years or a matter of minutes into a game.

Amd gpus are well known to spike, and just as well known to pull every erg of power from a pcie slot that they can, some pulling as much as 90w+.

Will it work, maybe. Will it last, probably not for all that long. The psu at this point is such an unknown that it's realistically impossible to say, it was already close to minimum limits and where that limit is now, nobody can say for certain.
So would upgrading to a new PSU increase the likeliness of the GPU working? I have been gaming on this machine prior to the purchase but on integrated graphics, mostly games that have low requirements. (CS:GO, Minecraft)

Remeca

Reputable
So would upgrading to a new PSU increase the likeliness of the GPU working? I have been gaming on this machine prior to the purchase but on integrated graphics, mostly games that have low requirements. (CS:GO, Minecraft)
It is not going to increase the likelihood of it working, but it will more likely increase the longevity of the system (because it will probably last longer than an older PSU) and reduce the risk of possible damage to other parts if it fails. Still, there is no way an R7 250 is going to pull 90+W from the slot. I don't think my R7 260x even pulls that much total, with a 6 pin.

Jan 1, 2022
It is not going to increase the likelihood of it working, but it will more likely increase the longevity of the system (because it will probably last longer than an older PSU) and reduce the risk of possible damage to other parts if it fails. Still, there is no way an R7 250 is going to pull 90+W from the slot. I don't think my R7 260x even pulls that much total, with a 6 pin.
Alright, so would it be best to save up for a new PSU rather than keep on using this one? If it's more safe I would most likely just buy a new PSU. Are there any recommendations you would suggest? Budget would be around £ 50-£ 80
Thanks

Jan 1, 2022
Alright, so would it be best to save up for a new PSU rather than keep on using this one? If it's more safe I would most likely just buy a new PSU. Are there any recommendations you would suggest? Budget would be around £ 50-£ 80
Thanks
Would a 300W PSU be good enough?