R7 260X 90 degrees+

elliotairlines

Prominent
Dec 28, 2017
Recently i had an error come up on 2 different games that my gpu had low memory. After this message i hopped onto msi afterburner and noticed my temps were high however after leaving it on for 10 minutes my temperature got to 95 degrees with the fan on full (defintely working). Any help would be appreciated.

elliotairlines

Prominent
Dec 28, 2017
No overclocking. As for cleanliness i had the gpu overheating slightly about 2 months ago. I took out the gpu and toom it apart i noticed that it seemed to be dust around the heat sink and cleaned the whole pc while i was there. The gpu has been fine since and this problem wasn't gradual like the last time it was very sudden. Also in case this may find a solution i noticed when nothing is open on my pc except google my gpu usage sometimes goes to above 30%. I there a program that may tell me what is causing this as i cant find anything on windows 10 itself.

elliotairlines

Prominent
Dec 28, 2017
I have my antivirus to scan regularly. Just in case it is that im using two seperately whilst scanning. Ill let you know if it helps however is it more possible that the problem lies in the hardware somewhere? I ask this since i mentioned that two of my games (rocket league and war thunder) both came up with errors about low memory on gpu even before temps got to high levels.
EDIT: after typing this my scan is complete and no threats found. One thing i did notice is that when i open up a game and it crashes the google on my second monitor goes crazy and i cant click anything forcing me to close it

elliotairlines

Prominent
Dec 28, 2017
I took my gpu out in order to clean it and now have a completely seperate problem in that my psu makes an electrical buzz noise. As well as this when it booted it came up with a overclock failed error about the cpu. Since my cpu hasn't been overclocked I googled for a solution and found one. I can't try the solution however as I Don't want to turn on my pc with the noise the psu is making.

elliotairlines

Prominent
Dec 28, 2017
since my gpu isn't plugged in how do I go about getting into my bios (should I reassemble my gpu before replacing my old thermal paste?) and also is my pc safe to boot with that weird noise since I've never had it before

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Make sure nothing is protruding into the PSU and rubbing the fan inside it. You could use a can of compressed air to blow any dust from it.

Your PSU is of questionable quality. It could be wonky and contributing to your overall woes. I would suggest replacing.

elliotairlines

Prominent
Dec 28, 2017
That appears my other two problems are fixed. Thanks for that. Regarding the gpu I'll have to wait until later because I'm not sure where my dad put the thermal paste but I'll update you as soon as possible

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Good luck. That may not solve the heat issue, but worth a shot. It may simply be time to replace your GPU. The RX460/RX560 would be a comparable replacement to what you have now.

Higher-end GPU prices are crazy right now due to crytpo-currency miners. The lower end stuff, like what you have now is still reasonably priced (in general).

elliotairlines

Prominent
Dec 28, 2017
Yes my other pc has a 1060 and got its price is a very good cards and the price of the other 1000 series aren't worth looking at.
If the new paste doesn't solve the issue could there potentially be a fan problem? Last time the fan was stiff so I fixed it but I wondered if it may not be spinning at max speed even though my programs say otherwise.

elliotairlines

Prominent
Dec 28, 2017
Yes we fixed that problem but I think I may be looking to a solution to a lost cause. My gpu is over 3 years old and I doubt that thermal paste will make any more than 10 degrees difference at absolute best. I mean after this time is there a possibility that my sensors aren't even displaying the right temperature especially since it happened is sudden.