R7 260x enough?

WhistleTop

Commendable
Aug 11, 2016
Hi, recently I purchased an r7 260x as a replacement for my broken GTX960.. being unable to afford a new 960, I went with the cheaper 260x. I purchased the Sapphire R7 260X 2GB GDDR5 Overclocked version and am just wondering whether I will be able to play:
- ARK: Survival Evolved on low graphics at 1080p or 900p
- Rust at 1080p (low)
- Insurgency at 1080p (low)
- The Isle at 1080p or 900p (low)
and finally Grand Theft Auto 5 on low @ 1080p.

My CPU is an i5 4690k without overclock and I also have 8GB DDR3 RAM @ 1600mhz. I understand there will be a bottleneck from the GPU but I just would like someone to tell me whether I can run the above games at the specified setting and resolution and possibly at what FPS they will run. I'm not asking for anything specific but maybe just for example "20-40fps" just so I can prepare myself for the (potential) shit show.

Thanks very much,
Chris.

Solution

Well, from what I can tell it should be able to provide that much performance in most of the games you mentioned. The only one I'm unsure of...

compprob237

Distinguished

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp%5B%5D=2701&cmp%5B%5D=3114

I find the performance results here a little more accurate.

The R7 260X is a big downgrade from the GTX 960. It should play Rust, Insurgency, and maybe GTA 5. The other two games I can't say.

What happened to the GTX 960? Many manufacturers offer 2+ year warranties on them. EVGA typically has a 3 year warranty on their cards and are VERY helpful. Most of the time they even allow for some mild overclocking done to the card while still staying warrantied.

WhistleTop

Commendable
Aug 11, 2016
Thanks both of you for your replies. As to reply to what happened to the GTX 960, I basically spilled lucozade inside the case while being careless and it turned out to be the only thing it landed on... I tried contacting the manufacturer but they weren't interested at all.. As long as I can play those games on low settings at 900p or 1080p, I don't care. I will look into getting a more powerful GPU once I have completed my university courses etc since it isn't a high priority for me right now. As I said, I'm only looking to play on low graphics IF it means I can get between 40 and 60 fps.

compprob237

Distinguished

Well, from what I can tell it should be able to provide that much performance in most of the games you mentioned. The only one I'm unsure of is GTA 5. Although, the issues with framerates people were mentioning may have been patched since the comments I've seen were shortly after the PC release.

Unfortunately, I can't give you any solid numbers. Judging by the performance of the card it's more powerful than a GTX 460 which should give you a good basis to cross-reference numbers with. I used to play Skyrim at 1080p resolution with a GTX 460. From what I'm seeing, you might be able to play GTA 5 on medium (and maybe higher!) and still achieve ~45 FPS. GTA 5 has a meter showing GPU VRAM usage. Just make sure to stay below about 1800MB used (for overhead). The other games can probably see your preferred FPS range using medium settings as well. All of these at 1080p resolution. The only thing I can suggest is to sacrifice Anti-aliasing if the performance is undesirable.

Solution

WhistleTop

Commendable
Aug 11, 2016

That's so strange, I was about to ask you about if it was better than a GTX460 because that is the card I had before the 960, and I was more than happy with the performance of that in my games. As long as the r7 260x is better than the GTX460 1GB, I will be MORE than happy with this card for now.