R7 265, 4 monitor connection possible?

Sergio627

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013
Hello, i want to know if the MSI R7 265 OC 2GB DDR5 will be able to display 4 monitors using the four connectors it has. All of them via dvi (hdmi-dvi adapter, displayport-dvi adapter, dvi-i to dvi-d adapter).

Will it be possible using a single R7 265?

My other specs are:

CPU: AMD FX 4300 BE 4.0Ghz
RAM: 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600Mhz
PSU: Corsair VS450

Solution
It is possible to use 4 monitors without mst hub on this card.
This post will be kinda long to give more information and for google searchers.
AMD Eyefinity/Multimonitor Faqs are the most confusing POS ever. But they do give slight bits of information.
Tdms differences anandtech article
Amd Multi monitor Faq
Rx 200 series connect 3 or more monitor faq
The only real hint they give is on the last link "1 Monitors connected to the DVI outputs must be identical" Which means that dvi connection can share tdms timing and only the dvi connections

Short backstory: I like so many others tried to set up 3 monitors with r7 265( 2 19" hdtvs 1 32" hdtvs). To my shock no matter what i tried didnt work. So about to give up and...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

Sergio627

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013

So you're saying if I get two active display adapters (hdmi to dvi) and (display port to dvi) I am able to connect two monitors via those active adapters. And the other two I will be able to connect via DVI-D and DVI-I right?

Then I can make the four to work simultanesly right?

Talmagal

Reputable
Oct 18, 2014
It is possible to use 4 monitors without mst hub on this card.
This post will be kinda long to give more information and for google searchers.
AMD Eyefinity/Multimonitor Faqs are the most confusing POS ever. But they do give slight bits of information.
Tdms differences anandtech article
Amd Multi monitor Faq
Rx 200 series connect 3 or more monitor faq
The only real hint they give is on the last link "1 Monitors connected to the DVI outputs must be identical" Which means that dvi connection can share tdms timing and only the dvi connections

Short backstory: I like so many others tried to set up 3 monitors with r7 265( 2 19" hdtvs 1 32" hdtvs). To my shock no matter what i tried didnt work. So about to give up and search for 4 port mst hub(didnt exist at the time) and active display port adapters when something unexpected happened. i had uninstalled all drivers to do a clean install of latest amd drivers. When windows rebooted all 3 monitor were activated to my surprise. Checked device manager and CCC found out windows has hd7850 drivers built in and checking the connection in CCC gave me the way to make this work.

I use driver 14.1 version for my setup as 14.2 breaks the setup as third party dvi-hdmi connectors now can stream full video/audio as if proper hdmi connection. This make fooling the card alot harder as the card checks and activates monitors from ports 1 through port 4 and only 2 hdmi(not including displayport active) connections supported at a time
port 1 through 4 follows hdmi/dvi-i/dvi-d/dp or dp/hdmi/dvi-i/dvi-d (my pc switches it sometimes and always two monitors get activated when pc boots up)
For 4 dvi connections might be able to go to omega driver(not sure) using dvi/dvi/hdmi to dvi/ Active DP to dvi-d

Notes for warning and how to get to work for 3/4 monitors:
1.The 4th monitor will need active adapter if no native display port connection possible.
2.The dvi connections need identical timing so basically has to be the same.
3.The dvi connections have to be set up the same to (all dvi to dvi or dvi to hdmi)
4.HDMI to dvi connection might mess up the connections
5.All legacy connection monitors(dvi/hdmi) have to be connected except maybe display port have to be connected at computers boot from shutdown(not sure if reboot works properly untill after get setup running)
6.DVI to VGA for a connection does not work unless maybe your card had 2 dvi-i ports then maybe (needs more testing)
7.For dvi-hdmi(least for my set up) third party adapter/cables work best
8.The two dvi monitors will lock to edid specs(so if using 720P monitor/hdtv but push to 1080P will lock it to 1366x728 or similar and is kinda a pain and requires regedit to fix)

My setup:
AMD 14.1 Catalyst Drivers
Connections
19" HDTV: DVI - HDMI
19" HDTV: DVI - HDMI
32" HDTV: HDMI - HDMI
IN CCC:
19" HDTV: DFP - DVI
19" HDTV: DFP - DVI
32" HDTV: DTV - HDMI

To add a 4th monitor should just have to add dp which should be plug and play

TLDR: AMD doesnt give enough documentation and faqs seem to contradict each other. RX 200 series can support 3 monitors without display port. 4 with active adapter or native DP. DVI connected monitors need to be same timing tdms.

EDIT:4th monitor can be confirmed working using above methods even if driver not technically proper. 4 monitors working with card on 14.1 drivers and hd7800 drivers

With 2 hdmi video/audio connections(1 hdmi-hdmi /1active dp to hdmi) and 2 DVI video only connections(dvi-hdmi)

Edit 2

With some clever edid modifications easy to get 4 monitors(3 legacy connection + 1 display port) while on the latest omega drivers 15.x(havent test beta driver). Modified the edid of the two dvito hdmi hdtvs to make them seem like dvi monitors( disabled extension block) using CRU and when rebooted all three were able to boot.
So now i have all 3 samsung 24" hdtvs at 1920x1080@75hz one with sound output.

Note:
The two dvi(dvi-i/dvi-d) connections can share timing
TDMS Clock 0 ----------------> DVI-I
Linked ----------------> DVI-D
TDMS Clock 1 ----------------> HDMI

The hdmi / dvi-d connecitons can share tdms clock with the sapphire r7 265
You can not link hdmi to dvi-i timing(else would have never had an issue with monitor setup at all.)
TDMS Clock 0 ----------------> DVI-I
TDMS Clock 1 ----------------> DVI-D
Linked ----------------> HDMI

My next thing is trying to get the two dvi to hdmi monitors to end up as hdmi instead of the hdmi connected one and allow for the end two monitors to give sound output.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS