[SOLVED] R7 2700X , POSTs fine, But black screens on media installation.

Jan 6, 2020
Hi there guys,
I've been building for a few years now and I've never quite seen something like this.

Issue:
I am able to boot the board, I can access and modify the bios, I can also run Memtest86 on a USB drive.

If I plug in a Ubuntu (or Debian) USB, I am presented with a graphical GRUB bootloader screen, as expected, however when I press any option such as "Try Ubuntu Live.." or "install" the PC black screens instantly/soon after, the CPU debug light on the motherboard also goes red.

What I've tried:
  • I have tested the GPU, PSU and installation media on another AM3 motherboard/chip.
  • I’ve also tried my friends GTX 1060 and at one point loaded into trying Ubuntu, 10 seconds later Black Screen
  • I returned the Asus B450 prime motherboard, got this one, exact same issue to my annoyance.
  • I have read some issues about possible GPU issues with Ubuntu so I have tried putting nomodeset before "quiet splash" on the grub config on "Try ubuntu..."
  • I have done a CMOS clear
  • I have updated to the latest bios for this motherboard (7C02v35)
Specs:
  • R7 2700x
  • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
  • 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200Mhz (CMW16GX4M2C3200C16)
  • EVGA 650 G3
  • Nvidia GT 610 ->Asus GTX 1080 (tomorrow)
Thanks guys. I'm starting to exhaust what I can think to do and I really can't figure this one out. I've heard of a lot of people been unable to boot on similar things, but I've not heard of a situation where everything works fine UNTIL I press "install" on Ubuntu/Debian installers...

Solution
It was the RAM. defeated sigh my CMW16GX4M2C3200C16 appears to not be supported with this Ryzen CPU, CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 I just ordered is though

Thanks for everyone who has tried to help its much appreciated!
Jan 6, 2020
Have see this happen when the installer is corrupt or it doesn't recognize the native resolution of the monitor (on an ultra-wide for example)

Hmm... I took my old AM3 Motherboard, CPU + RAM, same GPU, PSU, Boot drives, peripherals, and I'm able to correctly go through the Debian installation process.. For that reason I'm not sure if that's why :(

Jan 6, 2020
I meant on the USB drive, also you may want to check if you can enable CSM mode in bios.
Might be UEFI boot is hanging.

Ah I see, I just remade a USB boot drive from https://ubuntu.com/download/desktop (top download) using Balena Etcher on macOS, I assume that has USB 3.0 drivers, I enabled CSM mode, and I bumped up the Legacy boot of the USB out of interest to see what would happen.

The USB began loading, showed the purple ubuntu screen with the symbol at the button (precedes the purple GRUB boot loader I believe)

Then this was logged to the screen,

[ 5.239874] usbhid 3-1:1.2: couldn't find an input interrupt endpoint

I suppose this is some progress, also at least it didn't black screen and the CPU warn light isn't on

update:

I rebooted, it skipped the error and black screened again, red light on, I spoke too soon.

Last edited:
Yeah, sometimes you'll get a problematic image that just doesn't play nice with your USB or UEFI setup. But now it seems like you're closer. If you have a legacy USB2.0 port you may want to try that as well.

Ah I see, I just remade a USB boot drive from https://ubuntu.com/download/desktop (top download) using Balena Etcher on macOS, I assume that has USB 3.0 drivers, I enabled CSM mode, and I bumped up the Legacy boot of the USB out of interest to see what would happen.

The USB began loading, showed the purple ubuntu screen with the symbol at the button (precedes the purple GRUB boot loader I believe)

Then this was logged to the screen,

[ 5.239874] usbhid 3-1:1.2: couldn't find an input interrupt endpoint

I suppose this is some progress, also at least it didn't black screen and the CPU warn light isn't on

update:

I rebooted, it skipped the error and black screened again, red light on, I spoke too soon.

Jan 6, 2020
Yeah, sometimes you'll get a problematic image that just doesn't play nice with your USB or UEFI setup. But now it seems like you're closer. If you have a legacy USB2.0 port you may want to try that as well.

I moved the USB to an internal USB header to USB for a 2.0 port, it detected, exactly the same, same error came up then black screen issue again, for the life of me I have no idea what todo for other bootable media, I've tried UNRAID, Debian and Ubuntu images

Jan 6, 2020
Jan 6, 2020
It was the RAM. defeated sigh my CMW16GX4M2C3200C16 appears to not be supported with this Ryzen CPU, CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 I just ordered is though

Thanks for everyone who has tried to help its much appreciated!

Solution