Question R7 2700X temps "rangy"

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Picked up a new proc yesterday between a sale price and a coupon....Got it installed in my Taichi X370 motherboard (after a BIOS update, of course 5.5).
Everything seems to be working fine but one rather curious issue. My idle temps run down to around 32C. I have a Cooler Master Evo 4xx? IIRC, anyway the aluminum "tower" air cooler, one fan. As it sits it will be at that temp for a half moment and then jump up ~8* then back down slowly, then jump back up, constantly.
I am not experiencing high temperatures that are concerning. Even under stress test load I haven't seen it above 70C (yet). I figured it was the paste application so I went back in, cleaned it off, added a new application of Artic Silver. Not making "oreo cookies"....lol.

Anything I should be looking at or run of the mill for these procs?

WildCard999

Titan
I don't think it's an issue but something maybe I'd keep an eye on for like a week just to make sure. And while this is on a Intel guide I believe it still has some take with AMD is that the temps between the cores can differ up to 10C. My 2600 is about 3-5C different on each core at a given time.

Did you try the 2700X stock cooler by any chance? Honestly you might get better temps then that CM cooler, the thing is quite good.

Reactions: punkncat

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
If you are peaking ou at 70c then that is nothing to worry about.
I n Battlefield V which absolutely hammers hardware I peak out at 72c on occasions and usually sit around 65c.

Mine is a Ryzen 2700X CPU the same as yours and temperature fluctuations happen even at idle in Windows sometimes like +5 randomly so personally I would say it's fairly normal.
If there was a cooling issue you would see temperatures well in excess of 70c.

Andy

If you monitor HWMonitor, you will see all cores routinely jumping around from 800- to 3.x GHz several times per second, depending on background tasks occurring within WIndows...; this behavior is 100% normal, you can't monitor just temp , or realistically be expecting to see constant 32C temps in what you consider to be 'idle' conditions. (Windows does lots of things as it sees fit, especially the first several miutes after startup. and again during WIndows update push times, plus updating/syncing for assorted web storage apps like DropBox, Box, Google Drive, OneDrive, etc...)

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
If you monitor HWMonitor, you will see all cores routinely jumping around from 800- to 3.x GHz several times per second, depending on background tasks occurring within WIndows...; this behavior is 100% normal, you can't monitor just temp , or realistically be expecting to see constant 32C temps in what you consider to be 'idle' conditions. (Windows does lots of things as it sees fit, especially the first several miutes after startup. and again during WIndows update push times, plus updating/syncing for assorted web storage apps like DropBox, Box, Google Drive, OneDrive, etc...)

Well, actually it was fairly common for my 1700 to sit idle at a specific temperature on a steady basis after all the startup scans and etc. Got finished. The reason why I asked concerning this. I have not owned a CPU with this high a TDP in some time, that is why I asked.

Windows are never really idle, always doing something even when you are not. Ryzen relies on several temperature sensors to continuously adjust frequency and load on cores which of course changes voltages accordingly which of course changes temps and so on in circles. Comparing to FX processors for instance, temp sensors are much faster and feel more "touchy",nothing to worry about, it's quite normal.

xravenxdota

Reputable
Aug 26, 2017
Same happens with my cpu when i OC.On stock it would sit around 19-24C(it's winter here)but when i oc it fluctuate the temps by +10 then move back down again and it will do that constantly.I did ask some people more familiar with this cpu and they said it's perfectly normal.I am concerned a bit tho reason why i am not ocing at the moment

Same happens with my cpu when i OC.On stock it would sit around 19-24C(it's winter here)but when i oc it fluctuate the temps by +10 then move back down again and it will do that constantly.I did ask some people more familiar with this cpu and they said it's perfectly normal.I am concerned a bit tho reason why i am not ocing at the moment
If you have XFR/PBO enabled it is kinda OC-ing, dynamically of course. Even at idle (well close to itas my computers are always doing something), I can se one or two cores jump over 4.3 GHz occasionally. Only if you set frequency and voltage manually you'd see less fluctuation. You may also set Balanced power plan > minimum CPU to something like 5 - 10% which should drop minimum frequency to about 2100MHz which should drop voltage to less than 1v and further reduce idle temps.

xravenxdota

Reputable
Aug 26, 2017
If you have XFR/PBO enabled it is kinda OC-ing, dynamically of course. Even at idle (well close to itas my computers are always doing something), I can se one or two cores jump over 4.3 GHz occasionally. Only if you set frequency and voltage manually you'd see less fluctuation. You may also set Balanced power plan > minimum CPU to something like 5 - 10% which should drop minimum frequency to about 2100MHz which should drop voltage to less than 1v and further reduce idle temps.
I haven't really played around with the bios yet.I did set my cpu multiplier to 42 manually and my volt to 1.4v and it was fluctuating reason why i declocked her.I may play around in bios later just shes only 6months old so i am looking after her :D.

PS:I miss my old FX4170 was so easy to understand the bios and get a good oc on her even tho she was slow as hell.

I haven't really played around with the bios yet.I did set my cpu multiplier to 42 manually and my volt to 1.4v and it was fluctuating reason why i declocked her.I may play around in bios later just shes only 6months old so i am looking after her :D.

PS:I miss my old FX4170 was so easy to understand the bios and get a good oc on her even tho she was slow as hell.
My old FX 6350 in GA-990XA-UD3 is still running fine at 4.9GHz, super easy to set up.