[SOLVED] R7 3800x vs R5 2600 temps

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
So today I got my 3800x as an upgrade from the 2600.

My temps are much higher idle and under load. Is this normal for the 3800x compared to the 2600? My 2600 idled at 38c-48c (it would spike randomly which is normal behavior for ryzen). The 3800x idles at 45c-70c. Yes the same type of "spike" behavior even idle but when it spikes sometimes it has reached up to 70c, but mostly it just spikes to around 55c-61c, however I seen it reach 70c idle.

I current have the clock at 4.4ghz which is .1ghz lower than its max boost speed, and voltage set to 1.42 (It was reaching 1.47 at 4.3ghz on auto mode under load).

My memory is on XMP 3000mhz cl15.

My cooler isnt the greatest, its the Cooler Master Hyper T2, but Ive heard its within a few degrees on performance compared to the 212 evo.

So is this normal or do these temps seem high? I even had to adjust my fan curve so it didnt keep ramping on idle.

MOBO: MSI Tomahawk B450
CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x (4.4ghz 1.42v)
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T2
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super OC 3x Windforce White (8pin only version)
MEMORY: HyperX RGB 2x8gb DDR4 3000mhz
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 250gb / 500gb Seagate / 1tb Samsung 860 Qvo
PSU: Corsair cx550m
WIN: Windows 10 Pro
Case Cooling: Antec Prizm 3x 120mm rgb case fans with controller and 2 RGB strips / 1 default 120mm case fan
Case: Cougar MX330

Solution
Not really. That is pretty much a Prism only thing. There are coolers with RGB fans, but honestly, they suck. Same as with the conversation we have daily around here regarding case fans, which are the same as fans on heatsinks, you can get good fans or RGB fans. There are really no good RGB fans, not for use on radiators or heatsinks anyhow. They all either lack performance, or lack static pressure or lack airflow. Seems to be getting slowly better but for the most part it's hard for them to include a good fan motor AND the electronics required to make the RGB factor work, on the same fan. Just not enough room I guess.

As far as the coolers go, the Prism is probably definitely the better cooler than your T2. The T2 is a two heatpipe...
I haven't found a "gaming" chair yet, that I could sit in and say "Yeah, now THAT is comfortable". But then again, a lot of the higher end models won't be found at local stores or shops.

So I bought this chair at my local Office Max. https://www.officedepot.com/a/produ...9cxfU3ABDS2O3Bvlo2RoCpCwQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

380$. It sits higher, and doesnt go as low as my gaming chair so I had to buy a entire new desk as well, which was also needed so I have space for a second monitor.

So I spent 600$ today on a chair and a desk. This chair is MUCH more comfortable. Only gripe I have already is, of course, the arm rests dont adjust. Which isnt a major deal. But its Serta and my butt has never been so comfortable in a computer chair.

Yeah, that looks like a nice chair. I might have to go sit in one of those when our Office Max opens back up.

Its light years ahead in comfortability compared to my previous chair.

The desk I got is L shaped and making the transition to an L shaped desk is taking some getting used to. Not sure if I should put my pc in the corner of the desk, or leave it on the table next to the desk.

Its almost like I have too much desk now lol. And I kind of want to remove the keyboard tray. Its not big enough for my KB andd Mouse pad so I wont be using it anyways.

I know what you mean because a while back, I went from this:

zm45mji.jpg

To this:

WkGsDCa.jpg

And I DO have the computer on a different table, next to it.

nmJW4ZR.jpg

Reactions: Jason H.
Nice. That setup has some character to it.

This is what Im working with so far. Gotta do some cable management later and re-center the studio foam as well. Also cant turn on second monitor because my 2060 super only has 1 hdmi output. So I have to buy a DP cable for the 2nd monitor.

The desk itself is decent for 170$ but the biggest complain is that the glass panels are not flush with the fake wood corner piece. So it causes a lip/raise and I cant set anything flat, say halfway on the glass, and halfway on the wood.

upload image

Looks good man.

So I ended up spending 270$ on a new 27 inch monitor. Didnt realize 1080p at 27 inch wasnt great. I bought from Newegg.

The first day there was a stuck red pixel on the middle right. I pressed on it, went away, came back a couple times. Now it hasnt been back for 2 days.

Do you know how getting a replacement through Newegg works? Do I have to send them the monitor 1st?

If I want to return it for a refund, it says the box has to be unopened, and even then, its 30$. So Id lose 30$ even if I didnt open the box. I will NEVER buy from Newegg again. I wanted to return it and buy a 24 inch monitor from Amazon, but I cant, only option is a replacement.

I just dont want to wait 2 weeks and go without the monitor if i have to send it back 1st to replace it. And wondering if its even worth it. IDK if stuck pixels are common and go away or what.

The monitor is a ASUS 144hz VG278q.

I do, and you won't like it. You won't be getting a monitor with a couple of dead pixels replaced. Not through Newegg. There must be no fewer than 8 dead pixels for them to replace it, which is EXACTLY why I will not buy a monitor through them. Ever.

I do, and you won't like it. You won't be getting a monitor with a couple of dead pixels replaced. Not through Newegg. There must be no fewer than 8 dead pixels for them to replace it, which is EXACTLY why I will not buy a monitor through them. Ever.

Well they say they will replace it for free. My only question is, do I have to send it back 1st and then they send it to me, or do they send out the monitor 1st, like Amazon would.

You will have to ask them, but I'm pretty sure they'll require you to send them the monitor first. I've never seen anybody that would send you the replacement first EXCEPT a few manufacturers and companies that allow you to pay for the new item with your credit card, then they ship you the replacement, then they refund the charge after you send them back the faulty item. That is to protect themselves against you ending up with two devices and nothing they can do about it.

I've never seen Amazon send anybody a replacement for anything that had a significant cost, or any tech item, before receiving the faulty item first. Not saying it hasn't happened, but I've done a lot of business with Amazon, maybe 2000 or more purchases and probably fifty or so RMAs, and never had them offer to do that. Newegg didn't even want to give me a replacement for the tempered glass side panel they sent me that arrived in a million pieces, even AFTER I SPECIFICALLY asked for it to be packed in extra packing and a second box because I had already been sent two prior shattered side panels from different retailers. They finally did refund the money but it took weeks.

You will have to ask them, but I'm pretty sure they'll require you to send them the monitor first. I've never seen anybody that would send you the replacement first EXCEPT a few manufacturers and companies that allow you to pay for the new item with your credit card, then they ship you the replacement, then they refund the charge after you send them back the faulty item. That is to protect themselves against you ending up with two devices and nothing they can do about it.

I've never seen Amazon send anybody a replacement for anything that had a significant cost, or any tech item, before receiving the faulty item first. Not saying it hasn't happened, but I've done a lot of business with Amazon, maybe 2000 or more purchases and probably fifty or so RMAs, and never had them offer to do that. Newegg didn't even want to give me a replacement for the tempered glass side panel they sent me that arrived in a million pieces, even AFTER I SPECIFICALLY asked for it to be packed in extra packing and a second box because I had already been sent two prior shattered side panels from different retailers. They finally did refund the money but it took weeks.

I cant wait to never buy from them again.

Thanks.

Newegg used to be VERY GOOD. But then it was bought out by a consortium of Chinese investors, and the only reason it still is able to compete with Amazon is because between Newegg and Amazon they've run just about everybody else of any consequence out of business by being able to operate on very small margins due to their sheer size. Since being bought out, their customer service, support after the sale and other operational behaviors are a pale reminder of what they used to be. They are still a good option sometimes, because in some cases they are the only ones who have it stock, at all, or are occasionally a little cheaper than Amazon, but it's not that often. I just bought my new memory from them, and in fact have bought my last three memory kits through them, but there are caveats to using Newegg and you have to know what to buy from them and what to not buy from them.

Given that, monitors are off my list of things to buy from them. So are side panels. LOL.