[SOLVED] R7 5800X not compatible with X370 MOBO?

zherne

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
Hi Guys!

I though I could replace R7 1700X CPU with 5800X on an AMD AM4 X370 motherboard given that both CPUs fit the same AM4 socket. :unsure:

I have only learned that Ryzen 5000 series CPUs are not compatiable with X370 motherboards after I already bought the 5800X .

I need now need a new, decent motherboard that is compaitable wih 5800X and the rest of the compnents.

What motherboard do you suggest? Should I chose X570 over B550 being a newer chipset? Will PCIE 4.0 be any benefitialwith my current components or will I need toupgrade them too?

My current seup:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X (replacing with Ryzen 7 5800X)
AIO WC: Corshair H100i V2
MOBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Hero AM4 X370
GOU: MSI RTX 2080 TI Gaming X
RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600MHz C18
SSD: 960 PRO NVMe M.2 512GB
SSD2: 860 EVO 1TB
PSU: Corsair TX850 (This PSU is now 10 years old, and no issues, should I keep it or replace it?)
CASE: Corsair Crystal 570X RGB ATX Mid-Tower

Cheers,
Zherne

Solution
I'll give you my example. MITX case that's very good airflow possible. However, with a full custom loop crammed into such a tiny box, airflow would by default be minimal no matter what fans or curves used, too much stuff in there. So, B550i has passive heatsinks for chipset and VRM's, X570i has active cooling, tiny fans on the VRM's and chipset. That makes the X570i a better option, even though pcie4.0 isn't a consideration with all my pcie3.0 stuff.

Out of the few brands actually making mITX boards, MSI only has B550i, Gigabyte and Asus have both, and although the Gigabyte was cheaper by a decent amount, the Asus has Wi-Fi-6 and a dedicated pump port, the Giga doesn't.

So I paid higher price, it's the most expensive mITX made for...
It is not supported since its a 300 series chipset (some asrocks did but not much). I generally prefer a B550 motherboard over X570 if you're not using the extra features that a X570 Have, also PCIe 4.0 is somewhat a hit or miss right now as my friend's 3300x and b550m mortar having some problem on running 3060Ti on pcie 4.0. PCIe 4.0 would be beneficial for SSD speeds if you ever need the bandwith.

Reactions: zherne

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
X570 came first. Then type-C usb gained in popularity and many newer cases have front port type-c, but that's an issue with almost all X570 since it doesn't have a type-C common header. B550 was released After type-C, so most B550 do have a header for front panel type-C use.

So there are other factors in play, not just the pcie4.0 thing, the best board for you is the one that fits your requirements, enough fan headers, the right rgb headers (argb or rgb, there's a difference), what motherboard is compatible with the RGB (Aura or Aorus or Mystic light etc), aio pump header etc.

Worry less about what certain boards Can do, worry more about what they Do do.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I'll give you my example. MITX case that's very good airflow possible. However, with a full custom loop crammed into such a tiny box, airflow would by default be minimal no matter what fans or curves used, too much stuff in there. So, B550i has passive heatsinks for chipset and VRM's, X570i has active cooling, tiny fans on the VRM's and chipset. That makes the X570i a better option, even though pcie4.0 isn't a consideration with all my pcie3.0 stuff.

Out of the few brands actually making mITX boards, MSI only has B550i, Gigabyte and Asus have both, and although the Gigabyte was cheaper by a decent amount, the Asus has Wi-Fi-6 and a dedicated pump port, the Giga doesn't.

So I paid higher price, it's the most expensive mITX made for Ryzen, but it checks all the necessary boxes and anything extra is a bonus. The other boards failed to meet the requirements in one way or another.

So taking your case, it's connectors, fan requirements, thermal requirements, power requirements etc and all that into consideration, make a list, must have minimums - nice to haves, then see which boards fit. With that list of boards to start with, start crossing out boards with negatives, too expensive or too junky or unreliable or wrong color etc. You end up with 2-3 boards that do everything you want and need, research those, customer satisfaction reports, returns, issues etc and you'll end up with the One board that fits you, your build, your budget perfectly.

Solution