R9 270 2GB by XFX bottlenecked or not?

kingdeath37

Reputable
Oct 4, 2014
I have ordered an XFX R9 270 2GB, 256-bit and PCI-E 3, and I have a question..
My CPU is an Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 @2.66GHz (not overclocked) and I have 4GB DDR2 RAM. HOW MUCH will this GPU get bottlenecked? Cause I'm aiming to play games with graphics like Watch_Dogs and Crysis 3 on Ultra and 1680x1050 resolution cause I've seen so many benchmarks that this GPU is capable on doing it.

Solution
I doubt you'll play Crysis 3 at max settings @ 1680x1050 with any card and that CPU. Probably the same with Watch Dogs, although I don't have that one. You should be able to use mid to high settings and still get playable frame rates, tho. Crysis 3 takes down the best of systems at max settings.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I doubt you'll play Crysis 3 at max settings @ 1680x1050 with any card and that CPU. Probably the same with Watch Dogs, although I don't have that one. You should be able to use mid to high settings and still get playable frame rates, tho. Crysis 3 takes down the best of systems at max settings.

Solution

kingdeath37

Reputable
Oct 4, 2014
What if I overclocked my Q8400? Although I have it running with the stock cooler, would it by any way reduce the bottleneck? If YES, then can you explain me how? Cause the last time I did, my Windows was only recognizing only 1 of my 2 RAM modules and resulted in having 2GB physical RAM.

bigjay420

Honorable
Jun 6, 2013
Well do you know how to overclock first? Is your mobo capable? Is the cpu unlocked i dont think it is. Dont know alot about the core 2 quads but i do know how they perform. If you can raise the bclk frequency do it very little and give it a little more. What bclk does is raise the speed of pcie , ram and cpu. So when you do this a fair amount you need to turn your ram frequency down. I did it like this because my mobo does not overclock all the time it overclocks via turbo and sits at its stock speed when idle well i turned that up because i want a solid frequency not a static one. You mentioned you where on the stock cooler if you can afford it get a corsair h80i the fairly small and can fit in most cases. However i would definitely upgrade ram to 8gb if you are on a 64bit os.