R9 270 strange fan speed behavior

Apr 24, 2018
Hello there!

I have run into some strange things lately with my R9 270.

When running MSI Afterburner, I get to set up a curve to reflect temperature and fan speed nicely. However, when using the automatic fan speed control, it will not actually increase the speed.

Putting it on manual, I can easily dictate the fan's RPM, anywhere between 0 and 100%. However, as soon as it's on automatic, the temperature will ramp up (and the slider will display an appropriate RPM%), but the fan won't actually start spinning faster, until it hits just shy of 80 degrees. At this point the fan will spin rapidly until it cools down to ~60 degrees, to repeat the process.

I've replaced nearly the entire build last week (fried motherboard), so it's probably not a faulty PSU at least. Relevant parts are
- Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650
- MSI z370-a pro

Any ideas, suggestions? Please note that the card is not overclocked.

Thank you!

Apr 24, 2018
Yes, the custom fan enable is on.

Like I said, the visual bar that shows fan % does slowly creep up, but I can hear that it doesn't actually spin any faster.

Also, when I set it to around.. 50%, ish, it just goes to 0 instead. Only when I force it to 90+ will it work at all, at which point I can reduce the speed to anywhere above ~60% and it'll spin away... just not on an automatic curve.