[SOLVED] R9 270x intermittently not being detected.

clarkey1984

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2014
Hi all, I'm temporarily running a Radeon R9 270x so I can game until I save up for something more capable, however I'm having issues.

Every now and again I get no monitor signal, and have to switch the hdmi cable to the onboard GPU, checking device manager shows that the card isn't there, unless I click on hidden devices, where I'm confronted with a message which says at this time the device is not connected, or words to that effect, which it obviously is as nothings changed.

Sometimes even if I do that, and also scan for hardware changes it's just not there at all, plus I'm also getting random bsod / stop code crashes relating to thread stuck in device driver as well.

The card is a known good unit and performs very well in games, but obviously not when the pc decides that it's not there.

I usually avoid AMD cards as I don't think I've ever had one where I don't get problems, but as this was given to me for nothing by one of my best friends I can't really complain, it's just annoying that I can't quite afford a gtx980ti quite yet.

Full system specs are...

Asus prime b250m-a
I5 7600 (non k)
R9 270x 2gb
16gb ddr4 1600 ram (2x8gb crucial)
Intel 320 series 160gb SSD
Toshiba 2tb HDD.

I have so far wiped everything GPU related with DDU, disabled the onboard in bios in an attempt to force it to use the card every time and reinstall the amd drivers fresh, but the installer fails because it says I have no hardware installed.

Any ideas of things I can try?

Many thanks in advance :)

Solution
Solved it.

I have no idea why it should make a difference, but my PSU has two separate sets of cables that both have a pair of 6 pin +2 connectors on, and I use the end connector from each one as access is tight otherwise.

All I did was disconnect both of them from the GPU, switch them round so that the plug that was in the first connector on the card was now in the second, and visa versa, booted her up and working faultlessly straight away.

Lutfij

Titan
Make and model of your PSU and it's age? I think the PSU is your issue. That it's unable to deliver power to all components in your system but that's an assumption. Make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard as well. What OS version are you on at the moment?

clarkey1984

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2014
Ahh yes I should have mentioned the psu, it's a seasonic s12III 650, and it's only about 6 months old so no issues there, as it delivers loads of juice on the 12v rail, 54a, so I should be good in that department, and as for the bios, I'm on the newest one there is, as I only built the pc up a few weeks back, I ran the Asus suite which found it, it was only one version out of date though.

clarkey1984

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2014
The error code from device manager is error 45.

"Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer."

Which is ridiculous, and also false, because it is connected, of course it is, why wouldn't it be.

I've since tried physically removing and reseating the card and the 2 power connectors, no joy.

I've just copied the contents of my steam folder to the secondary HDD and will be reinstalling windows soon, it's no bad idea I guess as this installation is nearly three years old, and on the third set of hardware as well, a clean install can't hurt.

clarkey1984

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2014
Solved it.

I have no idea why it should make a difference, but my PSU has two separate sets of cables that both have a pair of 6 pin +2 connectors on, and I use the end connector from each one as access is tight otherwise.

All I did was disconnect both of them from the GPU, switch them round so that the plug that was in the first connector on the card was now in the second, and visa versa, booted her up and working faultlessly straight away.

Solution