R9-270x not detected despite fans running

scnickity_schnoine

Prominent
Oct 16, 2017
My build: i5-7600k
Mobo: ASrock z270M-itx/ac
PSU: Silverstone SFX-L 500W
GPu: R9 270x

I had a GTX1070 and my system ran just fine. It broke though and I now have a r9 270x to replace it with for a little. When I plugged it into my system the fans ran but no picture. I switched to onboard graphics and everything on my computer works fine although device manager doesn't see any other card and neither does AMD's driver software when it tries to detect my hardware. I re-seated it and tried again triple checking the power connection of the 8pin on my psu to dual 6 pin on the 270x.

Still fans with no picture. I went into the bios and my default graphics was set to pci-e, I tried another restart or two to no avail. I then noticed my bios wasn't showing anything attached to my pci-e port.

Do I have a bad port? Or a bad hdmi port maybe on the card itself? I saw the card running fine in the person I bought it from's computer earlier today (he was using dvi though so Ill find an adapter for my tv and give that try soon). Is there any other troubleshooting I should do though?

Solution
You have a good quality PSU and if you saw the card running before you bought should be OK also. First thing to try, on the onboard video, update the BIOS and also reset it to defaults, see if the card works then. Also try it on a normal monitor not a TV, especially if you are using HDMI connection, I have seen where HDMI does not work till after Windows loads.
You have a good quality PSU and if you saw the card running before you bought should be OK also. First thing to try, on the onboard video, update the BIOS and also reset it to defaults, see if the card works then. Also try it on a normal monitor not a TV, especially if you are using HDMI connection, I have seen where HDMI does not work till after Windows loads.

Solution