[SOLVED] r9 280 molex dilemma

xzeroxroxas23

Commendable
Dec 25, 2017
so just as the title says, I have a R9 280 but unfortunately my PSU only have one six pin but as I scroll through the forums and other sites I have found out that a 2x4 molex to 8 pin is safe but I am skeptical and anxious, so is it really safe to use? something that doesn't explode my PSU or have a draw back to the GPU's power that may cause loss of performance?

Solution
Molex to pci-e is not safe and neither is that PSU.

That PSU is absolute trash. It can only deliver 9a on the 12v rail(thats 108w) so it is not even remotely close to a 700w PSU and not nearly enough to power a r9 280. A good 700w PSU will be able to deliver around 53a on the 12v rail(s). That has to be the absolute worst "700w" PSU i have ever seen.

The PSU is a very important component and a very bad place to cheap out.
What exact make and model is your current power supply, and how old is it?

When a power supply doesn't have the required connectors for the hardware setup, it is usually an indication that the PSU is not sufficiently powerful, of poor quality, or old (sometimes a mix of all three).

All three scenarios are a reason to upgrade the PSU to one of sufficient performance and quality, and with the correct connectors reqired to connect everything.

Is is usually never recommended using any kind of adaptors for PCI-e power, such as molex to PCI-e or SATA to PCI-e and so on. Molex to PCI-e cannot be considered safe, in my opinion - they have even proven to be a fire hazzard in some worst case scenarios.

Last edited:
Reactions: tennis2 and King_V

xzeroxroxas23

Commendable
Dec 25, 2017
What exact make and model is your current power supply, and how old is it?

When a power supply doesn't have the required connectors for the hardware setup, it is usually an indication that the PSU is not sufficiently powerful, of poor quality, or old (sometimes a mix of all three).

All three scenarios are a reason to upgrade the PSU to one of sufficient performance and quality, and with the correct connectors reqired to connect everything.

Is is usually never recommended using any kind of adaptors for PCI-e power, such as molex to PCI-e or SATA to PCI-e and so on. Molex to PCI-e cannot be considered safe, in my opinion - they have even proven to be a fire hazzard in some worst case scenarios.
I am buying this local brand of PSU(not second handed), here are the specifications
BOSSTON 700w (BIG FAN/6 PIN) PSU DESKTOP POWER SUPPLY FREE POWER CORD SCOPE OF APPLICATION: AMD and INTEL FAN : 12CM MOTHERBOARD INTERFACE :(20+4) CPU INTERFACE: 4PIN GRAPHIC INTERFACE : 6PIN SATA: 2 IDE: 2 PFC TYPE: PASSIVE SWITCH: NONE 220 VAC Voltage 3.5A Current 50Hz-60Hz Frequency ATX Connector: 1 Power: 700W
fairly cheap local brand but reviews of it has been pretty positive

bignastyid

Titan

That PSU is absolute trash. It can only deliver 9a on the 12v rail(thats 108w) so it is not even remotely close to a 700w PSU and not nearly enough to power a r9 280. A good 700w PSU will be able to deliver around 53a on the 12v rail(s). That has to be the absolute worst "700w" PSU i have ever seen.

Reactions: King_V
Solution

xzeroxroxas23

Commendable
Dec 25, 2017

aight good thing i know cuz ye I was anxious, tnx alot btw

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

x1000 on the above.

Also, in general, molex-to-PCIe adapters are NOT safe, and are likely just begging for a component failure, if not a fire.

Click on the first link in my signature. It is a MUST-READ when it comes to getting a good PSU.

It won't be cheap, and, unfortunately, the pandemic has made the prices even higher. That said, a PSU is a safety device that protects you and your PC components. A good one won't fail easily, and if it does, it will kill itself and keep the rest of your PC safe. A good PSU will, figuratively speaking, throw itself on the grenade to save you and your PC.

A low-quality one will not deliver clean/steady power, thus shortening the life of your parts. A low-quality one will also, when it fails, run the risk of killing other parts of your PC, or possibly catching fire.

If you absolutely MUST keep the price down, the second link in my signature offers a list of what jonnyguru would consider acceptable for a PSU. Pay heed to what he says about the downsides of using the cheaper ones, but at least they are cheaper but of decent quality, as opposed to cheaper but dangerous.

Final note: 80 Plus ratings (Bronze, Silver, Gold, etc) are only EFFICIENCY ratings. They say nothing about quality. The efficiency is, well, how much of the power that goes into the PSU comes out as usable electricity, and how much is waste heat. Higher efficiency = less waste. HOWEVER, a bad quality PSU can be efficient, at least until it craps out.

DSzymborski

Titan
Fyd2CMqY-lRNroIBh9p7OL9BVO3zh7pJu537qq_EEYQ.jpg

Wow, this is frightening even by garbage-PSU standards. You see some crazy exaggerations, but calling this a 700W may be the biggest one I've ever seen.

"Temove" is just the chef's kiss on top of this.

Wow, this is frightening even by garbage-PSU standards. You see some crazy exaggerations, but calling this a 700W may be the biggest one I've ever seen.

Agree, I've never seen anything quite like that for mislabelling!!!

Model number should be Eek! 588
Thats the sound you'd make when it goes out with a bang.

I'd actually recommend a Circle branded psu over that, that's how bad it actually is.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

Not to mention "Regulap" - or the fact that the company is an ink supply company, if the URL is any indication. This thing is frightening.

Though I have seen a no-name Chinese brand list its model number as "450W," or maybe it was "750W." It didn't actually say it produced that many watts, and the specs definitely showed that it didn't, but they actually made the model number intentionally misleading that way. That one might be up there with this. But even THAT one (claimed) much more than 9A on the 12V rail.

This thing is horrifying.