R9 280 or GTX1050 2GB

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gelermnsa

Prominent
Sep 17, 2017
I can get them for the same price,i have a decent power supply so that isnt a concern the r9 280 is pretty much in mint condition, and the gtx 10502gb is brand new.Which one should i go for?

Solution

if ur case fits it, i suggest u get that then :) it's better than both R9 280 and 1050 performance-wise :)

as far as i know, more info 'bout volta & Ryzen 2.0 will be released next year, both seems promising to me, i'm just hoping it doesn't end up like the hype & reality on Vega :(

performs on par with the 1050ti, but still, a used gpu too

the 960 is still being supported till the latest driver today so that's a good value there
u also said that it still have it's warranty so that's another plus
performance overall is very likely to be the same as the difference between 1050 and 1050ti
but ofc the 10-gen still wins in terms of power consumption, this time however not by a large margin (75w vs 120w)

it's a good buy imo, but others may have different call 'bout it
keep in mind however that the reselling price later on when u're upgrading ur GPU might not be good [as it is an older gen]

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_1050_Gaming_X/27.html

*The GTX960 is not on par with a GTX1050Ti. It is on par with a GTX1050.

The ONLY advantage over the GTX1050 is more VRAM. While that's nice, I don't think I'd get a used card for that. If you properly tweak MOST GAMES you should stay under 2GB of VRAM usage at that performance level.

A couple games like GTA5 however probably will go over 2GB which MAY cause some stutter. Aaaargh...

*okay, I'd probably go for the GTX960 4GB for the extra VRAM.

the real life performance is on par though, 1050ti had slight win over the 960 but let's just say the 960 sit bout the middle of 1050 and 1050ti's already narrow performance difference XD

i'd still opt for 960 over the 1050, VRAM will be required in games like GTAV, Witcher 3, Fallout 4 modded, Skyrim modded, etc :v

TRENDING THREADS