Question R9 280x 1440p @ 144hz on Dell S3220DGF

Apr 5, 2020
Hello,

After countless hours of scanning many forums I am still unable to get my Dell S3220DGF to display 1440p 144hz

My system:
AsRock Z97 Pro4
i5-4690k
XFX R9 280x

What I've done:
Reset the monitor
Updated to latest GPU and monitor drivers
Tried several HDMI and 1.2 DP cables both of which supposed to run 1440p @ 144hz (link)
Disconnected secondary displays
Tried different presets, including turning FreeSync on and off
Unplugging and plugging the cable back in, restarting after making changes

My questions:
From what I researched, my GPU should be able to output 1440p @ 144hz, correct?
My GPU does not support FreeSync, correct?
What else can I try to make this work?
Can the monitor be defective?

I am inclined to return the monitor despite liking it. My dilemma is whether I should consider keeping it even I can’t get this to work for a prospect of using its features when I upgrade my GPU in the future.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

llleka

4745454b

Titan
My GPU does not support FreeSync, correct?

Correct. From what I've read online you need a 3xx series or newer for freesync. The 280 doesn't support it.

I also know HDMI won't do 144Hz. The HDMI in that card is too old. You have to use the DP 1.2 port. And I suspect that is where the problem is as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort

I couldn't find a simple link online one way or another so I started looking at raw specs. According to the wiki for DP, 1440 at 144Hz requires a data rate of 14.08 Gbit/s. (Second big chart.) Looking at the first chart, we see that 1.2 has a maximum total data rate of 17.28 Gbit/s . So my pure guess is that using any kind of adapter or poor cable might drop your data rate below the 14.08Gbit/s that is needed. The drivers might also prevent this from working if it's that close. But this is purely a guess on my part.

Apr 5, 2020
Correct. From what I've read online you need a 3xx series or newer for freesync. The 280 doesn't support it.

I also know HDMI won't do 144Hz. The HDMI in that card is too old. You have to use the DP 1.2 port. And I suspect that is where the problem is as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort

I couldn't find a simple link online one way or another so I started looking at raw specs. According to the wiki for DP, 1440 at 144Hz requires a data rate of 14.08 Gbit/s. (Second big chart.) Looking at the first chart, we see that 1.2 has a maximum total data rate of 17.28 Gbit/s . So my pure guess is that using any kind of adapter or poor cable might drop your data rate below the 14.08Gbit/s that is needed. The drivers might also prevent this from working if it's that close. But this is purely a guess on my part.
Thanks for the reply, 4745454b.

I suspected the cable to be the main issue as well which is why I tried several DP cables from Amazon. Reviews for each cable mentioned that people got it to work with 1440p 144hz. I have two more arriving in the next few days, so I can either get it to work or rule out the cable as a non-isse.

4745454b

Titan
Are they shorter or longer ones? I tried using an longer (15ft?) HDMI cord of unknown quality to hook my laptop up to my TV. It worked, but only doing 2D stuff. Games or videos wouldn't play. Switched to a newer 6ft cord and all was good. Does it work at 120Hz? or 1080 144Hz?

Apr 5, 2020
Are they shorter or longer ones? I tried using an longer (15ft?) HDMI cord of unknown quality to hook my laptop up to my TV. It worked, but only doing 2D stuff. Games or videos wouldn't play. Switched to a newer 6ft cord and all was good. Does it work at 120Hz? or 1080 144Hz?
I tried a 6 and 15 ft. Both gave me 1440 60hz option only and 60hz or less at 1080p. So no 144hz at 1080p.

Apr 5, 2020
Looks like people have gotten it to twork?

4745454b

Titan
I don't read LTT. And both of the forum posts you linked don't have the op coming back saying it worked. I was hoping to find a trustworthy article saying it's possible. I can't find that.

Are you using adapters? Or a single cable from card to monitor? I agree that DL DVI should do it. Use that if possible. Is there something to change on the monitor?

Apr 5, 2020
I'm not sure. I really wish I could find online people saying it's possible.

Have you read the manual on the monitor? Is there a setting your supposed to have on/off? I'd double check everything before spending money.
Tried all the settings I possibly could. Was just told by a Dell rep that R9 280x will not support 144hz, only 60hz. I am still not entirely convinced, but will leave it at that. Time to look into upgrading my hardware.

Than you very much for your help, I really appreciate it!