R9 280x gets no display and shows as a HD 7900 Series

Fedcoshark

Reputable
Aug 22, 2014
Hi all,

So my computer has been freezing up as of late and I had enough with it yesterday. I downloaded the blue screen analyzer and it seems like I have driver issues. I tried updating my bios to an XFX edition and that did not work so I took the battery out of the motherboard to reset it. After resetting my Bios I had to take the GPU out in order to get a display. My GPU is plugged in right now but I can't get a display out of it. I'm using the onboard graphics as of right now.

Device manager shows "AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series" and under devices status is reads, "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43). I tried to run AMD's autodetect drivers but it says that my drivers are up to date. I tried overwriting the driver with the newest drivers for my card. Neither of these seemed to work.

My build:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/chwrYJ

I have a 750W Corsair semi modular instead of the one shown in the build.

Quixit

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
Try totally removing the AMD drivers, then remove the device from the device manager, then reset the system and install the latest version of the AMD drivers. That should clear the "device has reported problems" state unless there is a hardware glitch.

Fedcoshark

Reputable
Aug 22, 2014

Hey man thanks for the quick answer. I did as you said and on reboot nothing showed in device manager. I switched over to my GPU and I still did not get a display. The error popped back up in Device manager and AMD still wants to install seemingly generic drivers.

Driver it wants to install: http://i.imgur.com/S5n6oQh.png

Fedcoshark

Reputable
Aug 22, 2014

I pulled the battery out of the mobo in order to reset the settings.

Fedcoshark

Reputable
Aug 22, 2014

Hmmm okay well I used a gigabyte tool called @Bios to find my proper bios and flash it back to normal. However the problem still persists. At this point I'm gonna contact XFX because I believe this is fixable but I'm not sure how.