[SOLVED] R9 280x got fried

radwan3

Honorable
Aug 25, 2014
Hi all ...

I have 5 yrs old PC featuring the R9 280X. the PC was serving me well playing Battlefiled and Call of Duty games ... but the GPU got fried. I was planning to build new system but got financially devastated and delayed the idea. Apparently my busted card just added salt to the wound. In fact, I wanted to just upgrade the GPU a couple of months ago with 2070 super, but I held it off as I heard about new Ampere card coming soon. Also, I thought that 2070 super upgrade will not benefit me much since the rest of the components r really old.

So what should I do ...
1. wait to Build new system:
- may take me a long while to arrange the money and milk my wallet.
2. buy 2070 super
- but Ampere should be better upgrade for the bucks u gonna spend now. Ampere may take a while to be released.
- buy 2070 once ampere released, 2070 should be discounted and get a good deal.
- buy 2070 will not ne good idea with ur current system, it will bottleneck.

Here are my system specs:
  • i7 4790 3.6 GHz
  • 16 GB RAM @ 800 MHz
  • Asus H97-PRO motherboard.
  • 1TB westren Digital HDD.
  • 850 Watt Power Supply

Solution
You can still play with 4790 today. You can upgrade it later on in your own pace.
2070 (or better 2080) is going to do just fine for a while unless you are looking for top notch. Factor in the wait time which you could enjoy instead of just waiting for a 100$ discount when Ampere shows up and decide.
Hawaii was a powerful but also power-hungry chip, I had 4x R9-290x rig back in the days, pulling 1.2KW from the socket when under full load.
You can still play with 4790 today. You can upgrade it later on in your own pace.
2070 (or better 2080) is going to do just fine for a while unless you are looking for top notch. Factor in the wait time which you could enjoy instead of just waiting for a 100$ discount when Ampere shows up and decide.
Hawaii was a powerful but also power-hungry chip, I had 4x R9-290x rig back in the days, pulling 1.2KW from the socket when under full load.

Reactions: radwan3
Solution
The i7 4790 is still going strong in most games bar a few, and even in those games you'll only see a problem if and when you upgrade to something newer, but until then you won't see any game being 'unplayable', so I'd say you save up as much as you can and upgrade when you have the money to do a full system overhaul, including CPU, Motherboard, RAM, and GPU, maybe PSU. Right now you could look into an SSD for a snappier system, but I'd say hold on for a few more months onto that i7, it's still capable of playing most new titles.

If it were me, I'd buy either a 2060 super or a 2070 super. If Nvidia's release of the RTX cards in 2018 is anything to go by, it might be a while before you are able to get the Ampere card that you want. They released the 2080 and 2080 ti first followed by the 2070 a bit later. The 2060 didn't follow until early 2019 if memory serves me correctly. And some of the earliest RTX cards had some memory problems that were bad enough to cause Nvidia to switch memory suppliers.

The 2070 super is solid, but if you're running a 1920 x 1080 monitor (didn't see your screen type in your description) the 2060 super is a good chunk cheaper and isn't significantly less future-proof than the 2070 super (they both have 8 GB GDDR6, RT/Tensor cores etc). Maybe you could snag one right now, hold onto it for 9 months or so, buy an Ampere card when they've all come out and worked out the bugs and then sell your 2060 super for a small loss.

gamenadez

Commendable
Feb 17, 2018
Its not worth to buy on those ampere..

Much better just get a GTX 1650 Super for 1080p. You still get a solid 60+ fps on High Settings not ultra.

Then wait for another 5 years and then buy GTX 2080 or RX 5700 XT if the price drop to 150$ -.- then upgrade monitor to 1440p LOL