R9 280X GPU and FreeSync

Tyroneshuz

Reputable
Nov 7, 2014
I am building my first rig and have recently finished purchasing all components except the monitor. I bought an XFX R9 280X card and have recently heard that this GPU will not be compatible with FreeSync monitors as it is GCN 1.0 and 1.1 (I don't know anything about these standards, btw.) is required for FreeSync. My question is, should I return the R9 280X GPU and get something that will be compatible with FreeSync (R9 290, etc.) or stick with what I have and forget about going FreeSync? I am a casual gamer and will mostly play WOW and maybe some FPS like BF4. If I do go with a compatible GPU, will I need a stronger PSU than the 550W that I purchased? Are there any other considerations? Also, is it worth the wait for these new monitors to come out? Sorry for the ton of questions and thanks for any advice.

Solution
I'd definitely go for one that is compatible. Even if you don't get Freesync, it is an option you don't want to deprive yourself of. If the 290 is too expensive, I believe the 285 also supports it.

chenw

Honorable
1. If FreeSync works as well as G-Sync, then IMHO it is VERY WELL worth the upgrade to 290 to get FreeSync AND to wait for FreeSync monitors to arrive, especially so since you play fps games. G-Sync have basically set a new standard in gaming hardware even though it is entirely nVidia property, and since Free-Sync is designed to do what G-Sync is doing, I would definitely wait for such monitors.

2. That being said, if your sole reason for changing from a 280x to 290 is just for the FreeSync support, I'd probably wait at least FreeSync monitor reviews comeout. While FreeSync does the same thing as G-Sync on paper, we have no idea about its actual implementation, and perhaps new AMD cards would be out by then. But, you will still get performance increase from 280x to 290.

GCN 1.0 and 1.1 are the microarchitecture designation AMD uses for their GPU's.