R9 280x No Display

HomeGrownSatirist

Reputable
May 15, 2014
I just bought an R9 280X on ebay (I know, probably my first mistake). I hooked it up to my machine, and I get no display. I don't get the motherboard splash or anything. The fans on the card turn on, but no display. I hear the hard drives spinning up, so I believe that the computer is posting, but I have no video what-so-ever to confirm that. I always found the beep at post annoying, so I never hooked up the speaker on this build. My system specs are as follows:

Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43
Processor: FX 4300
PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000w 80+ gold
RAM: Patriot Viper 1600 Mhz
GPU: Sapphire HD 6870 currently
Sapphire R9 280X trying to get working
SSD: Micron 128 GB
HDDs: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB
Western Digital Caviar Blue 3TB

So, for the things I have tried. First off, I have the HD 6870 connected, and it works fine, so I know it's not the pcie slot I have verified that the power connectors from the power supply are seated well. I was sure to use two separate pcie power connectrors from the PSU. I have seated and reseated and seated the card again for good measure. I flashed my bios to the most current version available, which was released March 28, 2013. I have tried booting with the bios switch on the card in both positions. I even tried putting the HD 6870 in my primary pcie slot with the 280x in the secondary, and booted up that way. I ran CPU-Z and it didn't see the card. I was using primarily HDMI plugged into my TV, though I did test some with the DVI using a converter to VGA on a monitor. I don't have an actual DVI cable, and I did read that there are some issues with the card not displaying correctly if there isn't a proper handshake between the card and the display, is anyone aware of this problem? Does anyone have any other suggestions?

I also put the 280x in an acer aspire m3470g, and got the same results. I am thinking the card was damaged in shipping or something to that effect, but before I pay for return shipping and having to wait for a refund, I wanted to get advice from all of you guys. Thanks.

SoupaJ

Reputable
May 14, 2014
1. Re-seat the card, pull it out and plug it back in again. Common problems have been solved by doing this.

2. If you still have your old video card, plug that back in and confirm the PCI slot is working. It could be a dead PCI slot.

3. Whilst the old card is plugged in, go into device manager and uninstall the card. Then shutdown, remove the old card.

4. Lastly make sure you have plugged the appropriate cables for power into the video card, I think there are two 6 or 8 pin molex cables.

HomeGrownSatirist

Reputable
May 15, 2014
I've switched the old card and new multiple times, so it should have been seated well.

I'm currently using the old card, so it's not the pcie slot.

I was concerned about uninstalling the card. I don't have onboard video, but I don't guess that matters. The board should detect the new card right? Also, I uninstalled the old drivers and then installed new drivers. But since the new card wasn't working, I had to install the new drivers with the old card installed. I'll give uninstalling a try via device manager.

Lastly, a lot of the problems I have seen in forums of this nature were due to a power supply issue. I have an EVGA 1000w modular psu with 8 pcie connectors on it. I have tried plugging in to almost all of them and ran two separate cables from the psu to the card. I think the psu has a single 12v rail, so I don't really think it matters which connectors I plug into, but I'll look into that also.

Thanks for your input. I'll let you know how it goes.