Question r9 280x not working

Mar 19, 2021
So a friend of mine bought new parts.
i5 10400f
asrock 510m hdv m2
500w psu
gskill 3200 ddr4 16gb

through ebay he bought a 280x asus 3gb (The vendor wanted to give the money back if the gpu was broken so i think it worked for him on his mainboard)
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/asus-r9-280x-directcu-ii-top.b2441

when he puts the gpu in pcie and starts the monitor doesnt display anything. The fans are spinning though.
Tried different outputs (displayport to hdmi and hdmi)
Also tried the GPU on three different Computers on two of them it didnt work (only one pci slot). The third one had two pcies and an installed driver for amd. (he uses 5700 xt with displayport) After some firmware updates it did appear in the device manager while having two graphic cards. On the other two it never got detected by the system. Are the mainboards too new? What could be the problem?

Last edited:
a friend of mine bought new parts
you state "new" parts.
so you are sure this wasn't a used item on eBay?
usually this would mean that the seller was disposing of a malfunctioning card.
if eBay won't cover the return and refund your "friend" is most likely stuck with a bad card.

and i'm just curious;
why do so many "friends" create threads here regarding what is usually a user error or mistaken purchase?
wouldn't it always be easier for the person that actually possesses the device and has first-hand access to it to be the one communicating about said issue(s)?

Mar 19, 2021
you state "new" parts.
so you are sure this wasn't a used item on eBay?
usually this would mean that the seller was disposing of a malfunctioning card.
if eBay won't cover the return and refund your "friend" is most likely stuck with a bad card.

and i'm just curious;
why do so many "friends" create threads here regarding what is usually a user error or mistaken purchase?
wouldn't it always be easier for the person that actually possesses the device and has first-hand access to it to be the one communicating about said issue(s)?

It did work on a different PC so I doubt it is a hardware problem. But more like a software compatibility problem.
Everything except the GPU was bought newly. You know what you can try to fix these problems?

Latest posts