Question r9 280x screen glitch at 1440p

Sup3rben

Prominent
Mar 6, 2021
I have recently upgraded to a 4k monitor. I know, I am using a 7 year old GPU that was never designed for more than 1080p gaming (I would love to buy a new one but you already know the current situation). Because I have very limited horsepower, I am running most games at 1440p. However, every time I toggle this resolution, a weird glitch appears on the screen. After a few seconds, a horizontal line of “stretched” pixels appears and it is about 20 pixels high. Everything below this line is normal, apart from being about 0,5 seconds delayed. There are no weird colors or flashing pixels, it is just the normal picture but delayed. This is usually located far down the screen, sometimes is low enough that you cannot really notice it, but sometimes is not. I tried to search for a solution everywhere but it seems like I am the only one having this problem. If anyone knows anything about this I would love to hear it.

Some details:
GPU: Sapphire r9 280x Vapor X, connected to a Samsung 4k Qled tv via a DisplayPort to HDMI cable.

Mar 5, 2021
Update drivers, clean your GPU heatsink/fan and repaste the thermal paste if necessary.

If your GPU is getting to hot, either reposition or add some fans for the flow of your PC.

You could also search for a AIO from NXT or another brand instead of the regular heating on the GPU. I have a 2x R7 370 Gaming 4G crossfired with the frozr fans and its slightly overclocked. No custom AIO or watercooling, just good fan patterns.

Let us know any updates.

Reactions: Sup3rben

Sup3rben

Prominent
Mar 6, 2021
Drivers are uptated and I've cleaned everything. I did a thermal test on some games (even at 4k) and it's ok, it usually never gets over 70 C . Back when I was using a 1080p I tried to overclock it a couple of times and I got pretty high temperatures, however it has never shown any screen glitches.

Mar 5, 2021
Drivers are uptated and I've cleaned everything. I did a thermal test on some games (even at 4k) and it's ok, it usually never gets over 70 C . Back when I was using a 1080p I tried to overclock it a couple of times and I got pretty high temperatures, however it has never shown any screen glitches.

Honestly, I dont know. Your GPU could be on its way out. Check the PSU cable and swap it out with a different cable, besides that there's nothing much more to do except possibly check all your capacitors, cells, modulars, pins, PSU inner pins, etc. If anything is a bit "Sus" let me know, I can walk you through how to replace things.

Sup3rben

Prominent
Mar 6, 2021
Honestly, I dont know. Your GPU could be on its way out. Check the PSU cable and swap it out with a different cable, besides that there's nothing much more to do except possibly check all your capacitors, cells, modulars, pins, PSU inner pins, etc. If anything is a bit "Sus" let me know, I can walk you through how to replace things.
Thank you for the reply. I'm pretty sure that at this point is either some component that's busted or is just the card that's too old. Or maybe it's just a factory defect, who knows. As long as it's working I'm fine with it. I'm just waiting for this "out of stock" nightmare to end so I can hopefully build a new rig. Have a great day!

Mar 5, 2021
Thank you for the reply. I'm pretty sure that at this point is either some component that's busted or is just the card that's too old. Or maybe it's just a factory defect, who knows. As long as it's working I'm fine with it. I'm just waiting for this "out of stock" nightmare to end so I can hopefully build a new rig. Have a great day!

Tell me about it, took me a week and half to find a decent GPU at a reasonable price. This mining inflation and the Pandemic is making it harder for manufacturers. So crazy.